Please read if you are familiar with Chinese culture.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Feng, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Feng

Feng Stunt Coordinator

With the release of the movie version of "Lord of the Rings", the best fantasy novel in the west as some people call it, I am wondering if Hollywood is interested in turning the best fantasy novel in the east--"Journey to the West" into movies as well. If you are familiar with this novel, it is mind-boggling to just imagine some of the scenes on the big screen.

2. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Hi, Feng! Well, you've certainly piqued MY curiosity...can you tell us a little more about this work? Author? Is it available translated into English?

3. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

I don't know anything about this book, but I nominate Ang Lee to direct [​IMG]

4. Feng

Feng Stunt Coordinator

5. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Feng, it looks damned intriguing. Are you in China? Has LOTR hit the theaters already there? How did the audience like it? BTW: WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

6. Feng

Feng Stunt Coordinator

I am Chinese but right now I live in USA. I am anxious to see LOTR this weekend.

In China, most Hollywood movies have to go through censors by government sanctioned cebsorship board before they can be shown in theaters. And there is a limitation of ten movies per year. I think it will be raised to 40 now that we are in WTO. So Chinese people have to wait for a few months. Right now Moulin Rouge is in theaters in China, in its censored form( I heard some sex scenes are cut.) Harry Porter, Planet of the Apes and Jurassic Park 3 will be shown soon.

7. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Makes you realise everything we take for granted over here. Welcome to the forum!

--

Holadem

8. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Feng,

didn't Steven Chao already make this movie??

Miles

9. Feng

Feng Stunt Coordinator

I am talking about an epic, big budget movie that is faithful to the original book. The movie Steven Chao did was a comedy and it horribly distorted the plot. It also has toilet humors as bad as American Pie. It almost has nothing to do with the original "Journey to the West" novel.

10. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Sorry Feng,

I have not actually seen the movie, just heard about it! my apologies...

11. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Second Unit

Journey to the West was adapted by Japanese TV, and then "westernised" on the BBC with English dubbing and narration, in the late 70s. This series was called Monkey. Check it out at here
    JttW is a huge story. Many Chinese (as in Hong Kong) film versions have tended to take one episode/chapter from the novel and turned it into a movie.
    Hope this helps.
    Joe

12. Feng

Feng Stunt Coordinator

That Japanese version is lame. Also CCTV (Chinese Central Television) shot a version of Journey to the West TV series in the later 80s and it gained a lot of praise. I was in high school in China at that time. But I am not satisfied with that TV series. It had good casting but the special effects are cheesy and lame. A lot of good stuff in the novel didn't make it. I really haven't seen any good movie or TV adaption of this novel that truely does justic to this epic.

For those of you who are not very familiar with Monkey King: He is to the Chinese people what Superman is to the American people. He is THE superhero in China. Monkey King is a spirit monkey that was born from a stone. His defiance with the Jade emperor, the ruler of the universe (like Zeus in Greek mythology) is the most splendid part of the novel. His battle with the heavenly warriors sent down to capture him would be jaw-dropping if rendered using today's special effects. Like turning into three head, six arm incarnation, turning one weapon into a thousand and casting down on the enemy, shape-shifting battle, etc.