1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Please rate Ed Sullivan DVDs

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Tom_mkfty, May 31, 2005.

1. Tom_mkfty

Tom_mkfty Stunt Coordinator

I have the Beatles one, as well as the first Ed Sullivan special that was played on TV.

I like them both.

2. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

I just have the Beatles release (from Goodtimes), but I'm happy that these were the complete shows and not just excerpts with the Beatles' performances . . . these are real time capsules of entertainment during the early 1960s. Visual quality is just OK but, frankly, I wasn't expecting much better given that the shows are 40+ years old. I saw the early '64 shows when they were originally broadcast but don't remember the '65 show. It's a testament to the Beatles that they're the only act that I can remember from long ago, with the possible exception of Soupy Sales doing his rendition of "The Mouse!" Good stuff!

3. Tom_mkfty

Tom_mkfty Stunt Coordinator

I saw the 1965 show when originally broadcast, mainly because I wanted to see them play, Ticket To Ride.

On that DVD, I'm glad that hostile Anicin commercial was included.

4. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I've got the Beatles one, which I love.

5. Matthew J

Matthew J Agent

I think the Ed Sullivan DVD's picture quality are pretty good for their age. But the non-beatles stuff is a waste and garbage. They pretty much edited a whole bunch of performances (usually taking out a whole verse or 2) that were full when they were first aired.