Please rate Ed Sullivan DVDs

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Tom_mkfty, May 31, 2005.

1. Tom_mkfty

Tom_mkfty Stunt Coordinator

I have the Beatles one, as well as the first Ed Sullivan special that was played on TV.

I like them both.

2. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

I just have the Beatles release (from Goodtimes), but I'm happy that these were the complete shows and not just excerpts with the Beatles' performances . . . these are real time capsules of entertainment during the early 1960s. Visual quality is just OK but, frankly, I wasn't expecting much better given that the shows are 40+ years old. I saw the early '64 shows when they were originally broadcast but don't remember the '65 show. It's a testament to the Beatles that they're the only act that I can remember from long ago, with the possible exception of Soupy Sales doing his rendition of "The Mouse!" Good stuff!

3. Tom_mkfty

Tom_mkfty Stunt Coordinator

I saw the 1965 show when originally broadcast, mainly because I wanted to see them play, Ticket To Ride.

On that DVD, I'm glad that hostile Anicin commercial was included.

4. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I've got the Beatles one, which I love.

5. Matthew J

Matthew J Agent

I think the Ed Sullivan DVD's picture quality are pretty good for their age. But the non-beatles stuff is a waste and garbage. They pretty much edited a whole bunch of performances (usually taking out a whole verse or 2) that were full when they were first aired.