What's new

Please put LOTR SE on 1 disc and save the extras for the other 3. (1 Viewer)

Brion Lydon

Stunt Coordinator
I'd hate to have to change discs halfway through the movie. I mean thats why we have dual layer.

Brion

Scott Dill

Stunt Coordinator
Please make the quality of the presentation as good as reasonably possible. If this means that the film must be spread across two discs, that's fine.

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I would too would love to have a quality presentation of this film. If that means that I have to get up and change a disc...I have to get up and change a disc. I Don't mind doing this since with a Laserdisc I would have to do this twice as many times for a movie of equal lenghth.

Not a big deal to change a disc once during a movie. Remember that.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
My main concern for this release is uncompromised video quality. If this means that the film is split over two discs, then so be it.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Well here's my idea: Put the movie on 1 disc with 5.1 track and nothing else. Put the movie again on another disc with commentary and extras. Video quality wouldn't be quite as great while watching the commentary, but the movie could fit on one disc then, no problems at all. And they could fit other extras on that Commentary disc as well. And they'd still only have...2 discs left for extras!!!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Why?

The SE probably will have at the least 5 audio tracks (DD 5.1 EX, DTS ES, commentaries, music-only, etc) and also the film is going to be 218 min. long. Lawrence of Arabia is 2 discs (2 DVD-9's), Ben-Hur is a DVD-18, Doctor Zhivago is on a DVD-14...etc and so on.

That's already a lot of bitrate. Also, there will probably be all kinds of video commentary stuff.

Also, even if the Director's cut was put on a single DVD-9 with just DD 5.1, that's still pushing it. Lawrence of Arabia is very close to the same runtime LOTR- Director's Cut and it still requires 2 DVD-9's. (and it only has 1 5.1 track and 4 2.0 low bitrate tracks)

I'm sure those who have experience with laserdiscs would like to chime in on this (Think 4 1-sided discs is bad? Try 8 double-sided discs!)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
you know... back in the LD days (that's laserdisc for you young-ins)... I had to flip my CAV boxset of < insert 4 hour movie here > 8 times in order to watch it. Then remotes came, dual side players, duel layers... bah!... lazy kids ;)
:D

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
Agreed, put the bare bones theatrical edition on 1 disc, so that everyone that prefers that version, and doesnt care about extras don't have to flip discs. But for the SE 4 disc version, seperate the movie onto the first 2 discs and give us commentaries and multiple audio tracks. And then you have the other 2 discs to impress us with featurettes, bloopers, trailers, interviews, deleted scenes, previews of TT and RotK, etc. You know what, heck with it...just make it 5 discs...you know you want to. :D
MTFBWY and HH!!
Mike

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm thinking Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring should be given NO extras and a $28 price tag! PLEASE?!?!?!

Rob T

Screenwriter
Well here's my idea: Put the movie on 1 disc with 5.1 track and nothing else. Put the movie again on another disc with commentary and extras. Video quality wouldn't be quite as great while watching the commentary, but the movie could fit on one disc then, no problems at all. And they could fit other extras on that Commentary disc as well. And they'd still only have...2 discs left for extras!!!
I like this suggestion the best, especially since my eyes aren't in the best of shape so I wouldn't notice if the video quality was in OK shape. If it's as bad as the video quality on the Batman DVD, though, even I'll notice that. :)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm with most of you -- quality over number of discs. I'd love to see the theatrical version on one disc, but not at the expense of the video/audio quality.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
It wouldn't bother me if the film was spread over two discs. Of course, I've got a Tosh 3109 so I wouldn't actually have to get up... :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Uhhh guys
There will be a vanilla 1 disc theatrical cut version
The SE will be 4 discs, probably 2 for the movie, 2 for supplements..
So if you REALLY have such a problem switching discs, then buy a copy of the theatrical and be happy
Me, I'll be happy with my nice director's cut in pristine condition ;)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Show me the movie. As a laserdisc veteran, and as someone who has bladder control issues, the more forced intermissions, the merrier. :D
- Steve

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Has it been reported that the August theatrical release is strictly a movie-only version? I would have to believe they would - at the very least - put a fluff featurette or two and a trailer on the disc. I guess they could still put this on one disc.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Whatever is on the August release will be minimal, because of the SE in November, and because of the length of the movie

Users who are viewing this thread