Please post reasons why should I get off of WebTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Click, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Mike Click

Mike Click Stunt Coordinator

With all the bad news I read on this and other forums, you all have me scared to death of getting off of the securely protected WebTV I have been on for 6 years +?

Can I unlearn WebTV and learn to use a computer at age 56, or am I hopelessly at the mercy of WebTV. I can do wonders, build fabulous home pages, grab .jpegs or .gif off of the web effortlessly, put DVD video caps on surf and find out more than I need to know about how things work. I did this all on my own thinking WebTV will upgrade and keep up with technology. The truth is WebTV is shooting for a e-mail only for grandparents, they stopped making the pictures in mail unit which I own.

There piles of WebTV incompatible websites
    are high and getting higher because WebTV is still at 4.0 whereas all else is at 8.0. At age 56 I am bewildered at computer technology. A number of this and other forums I am *afraid* to order a computer, not that I can't afford one, I am just hearing too much bad stuff over amount of good. The bad news is pushing me even deeper into the WebTV sanctuary. TIA [​IMG]

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Hi Mike,

What "bad stuff" are you hearing that is keeping you away from getting a real computer?

I'd suggest you visit an Apple store and give a Macintosh a test drive. You obviously taught yourself how to navigate your WebTV and I think you'd find a Mac to be equally easy to learn.

It's my experience that the Macintosh isn't really easier to learn than current Windows based PCs; rather, Apple has built a strong perception based on ease of use and that really comforts many people. Additionally, selecting which Mac you need is a fairly easy task -especially with the excellent help you'd get at one of the official Apple stores.

3. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I honestly prefer Windows, but sure, go ahead and try out the Mac. I personally would look into both Macs and PCs. Try them both and decide which would work best for you.

4. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    I fear that Mike may not have the luxury of visiting an Apple retail store without making a special trip, since there's only one location in the state of Pennsylvania. Most retail chains have proved completely inept at marketing the Mac...even CompUSA, which has a contract with Apple. Micro Center is, in my experience, the best non-Apple store for Apple products, but they also have only one PA location.

Still, this is definitely something you should "test drive". I'll disagree with Camp on "ease of use" being a wash between Windows and the Mac, particularly with the maturation (slowly but surely) of OS X. You're fortunate in that you won't have to unlearn previous versions of the Mac OS, something that constantly frustrates me because I'm too set in my ways.

Apple's iLife suite of programs is also great for new users, and interact with each other incredibly well. Unfortunately, Apple's current "digital hub" doesn't include an easy-to-use Web page editor or word processor, things I can't believe they haven't implemented yet. I'm sure it's occurred to them, however, so I wouldn't be surprised to see these programs show up in time. There are alternatives, of course, but you likely won't be able to do all of the things you do with WebTV without downloading some additional software (which may also be true for Windows, depending on the bundled software package).

Ultimately, it comes down to which system "feels" right to you. Be aware that Macs and Windows PCs are two different systems, each capable of most of the same things, each better at some things than others. While it may be more difficult to locate a "hands-on" experience with the Mac, I think it's worth the effort. Just try to have fun with the whole selection process!

5. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

My preference would be a PC, but yes do make sure you try and give yourself an opportunity to check out both. Also if you're a little intimidated by a PC/Mac most community colleges or city community centers offer a short basic computer class that can help you settle in and get familiar with things.

6. Don Peskin

Don Peskin Stunt Coordinator

Until a couple of weeks ago I was using webtv. I just bought a new computer (Gateway) which came with 1 yr free AOL. I like it much better. With webtv I had trouble with compatability at some sites and being able to use a mouse to get around the sites is much better than using the tab key. I always wondered why webtv keyboards never had a built in mouse.
    Anyway I would switch without hesitation. Besides there is so much more you can do with a computer than webtv.

7. Mike Click

Mike Click Stunt Coordinator

Gentlemen you have all made good arguments
    Camp the trouble I have been hearing is with my 2 sisters, one a business woman the other A Senior Technical consultant that just came back from Germany as she teaches whole Theater audiences for her word wide company. The trouble both of these women are computer professionals and both have had their computers hacked or viruses planted to just about stop them from using their own computer. I being a disabled retiree, that scares the lving daylights out of me. I said money was not the problem, I can't get out of my wheelchair to examine a virus, worm, trojan that has come in contact with my computer, I simply don't have the lifting strength needed.

I also don't want to spend a fortune keeping up with 8.0 or 3.06 GHz computers and the price tag that comes with it. For the kind person who said you could go to be taught, I am sorry but I am homebound.
    I have asked my mega buck senior technical consultant sister, she is urging me to stay where I am. Saying that you can't compete with all the hackers out there, screwing up your computer and stealing your personal information.

What do you say to a professional Consultant whose income is in the 6 figures, who is on call for virus's that penetrate her companies main frame. She has shown me what hackers have to do to penetrate the main frame, I say hackers because no one man could come up with the sheets she showed me.

I felt bewildered in the HTML & Javascript used in the amount it took and there were that smart of high tech crooks out there. Talk to my porfessional sister and look at the pages of printouts these hackers are willing to deal with jail sentences looming and the hacker doing damage is on the rise she told me. 30 sheets without one wrong dot or the spelling of a letter.

My other sister is a business woman who don't have the expertise her sister has,
    had to get the the one to disable the virus. The truth of the matter the sisters live hundreds of miles from my residence.

8. David Lawson

David Lawson
    Virii, for the most part, are a Windows-only nuisance. The Mac is "neglected" due to its small market share, which is a considerable blessing in this case. I can say from personal experience that my Mac has only been infected by one virus (a "worm", actually) in the past ten years, and it was easily fixed.

Naysayers may point out that the Mac is more susceptible to virii now that OS X is based on a UNIX variant, but I haven't had any problems over the (almost) two years I've been using it.

This isn't a knock, but I doubt your sister is very familiar with the Mac. Apple doesn't have a huge presence in the business world, and this unfamiliarity may be something of a deterrent if you would like someone to help you familiarize you with the system. There are plenty of books to supplement the Mac's built-in help system, however, and I think you'll find that the Mac community is a helpful and friendly bunch (when our system of choice isn't being attacked by the gaming proles). [​IMG]

As far as "keeping up with the Joneses", the Mac (and Windows) has an "update" feature that will tell you when Apple programs and systems have been updated, and it will automatically download and install the updates. Don't worry about processor upgrades, either; if you've been able to live with the same WebTV unit for six years, you likely won't feel the need to buy a newer, faster computer every other year.

9. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

10. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

11. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

Virii are not as big as some people make them to be especially to a home user, yes business's and large corporate systems get attacked all the time because hackers knows it cost's those company thousands sometimes millions of dollars to fix it. I work for a very large telecommunications corporation and I have High Speed internet access at home, cable modem to be exact. I dont use virus software as it effects performance way too much I dont care how fast the computer and I run a simple firewall program. I've yet to get a virus I check periodically but I dont really worry about it why? because I dont do things that will guarantee I get a virus, I dont open anything from anyone I dont know, I dont go to websites I dont trust I dont need to anyways, I dont use chat sites or anything like that. Its simple to make sure you dont get virus's. Not to mention that my mail server scans all my mail before I ever recieve it. none the less. Personal hacking attacks are too far and few between to constitute the fear that so many people as yourself have about it. As for computers you dont need the latest and greatest to surf the web and do what you want to do, also I'd check both Mac & PC out see what you're more comfortable with.

12. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Actually, viruses are very difficult to spread on Unix platforms because of the way the operating system was designed- most users who are logged on to a Unix machine to not have "root" or "superuser" access (full access); thus, viruses cant write themselves to certain files or perform certain tasks because the user who is logged in doesn't have the necessary permissions.

13. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

14. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

15. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

Hi Mike,
    Don't forget that most people only post to a computer forum when they are having problems. Although very few people ever post a message like "Gee, my computer is running great!", one has to keep in mind that there are many, many other people who have few or no problems.

16. David Lawson

David Lawson
    "Gee, my Mac is running great!"

[​IMG]