What's new

Please Please Please Help Me With My TV (1 Viewer)

I just purchased a JVC 48" 16x9 set and I think it's totally defective. Has anybody heard of a problem where anytime a bright object moves on to a darker scene it throws a circular, almost lens flair blob of light up on the opposite side of the TV. Depending on where the light source is, it will make a circular light flare up on the screen, just opposite it.

I know it's not a lens flare that was in the film. I know this because 1) the light blob goes over top of black bars on 2.35:1 movies, and 2) the lens flair effect will appear even from the brightness of calling up my TV menu screen.

I also know that my settings are good. I used a calibration DVD to set it.

I was able to ignore this for a few days, but now it is getting worse, with even hints of blue and red in the flares.

Does any of this sound familair! Is it defective? HELP!!!

Steve Adams

Second Unit
Sounds like something bad to me, bring it back and get another one! I had to bring mine back after numerous issues that I could not ignore. not the same tv, so I dont know if it's a model problem or just your tv.....

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it's "getting worse"; you're just noticing it more easily. Sounds like internal reflections. You will need to cover the interior of the cabinet with a dark material to minimize light reflecting off the inside of the chassis (this is why you're seeing it in the dead space above and below 2.35:1 images).

If you're reluctant to do this yourself, a professional (and preferably ISF-certified) tech can do it.

Well, The Sears technician came by today. Big help he was (sarcasm) He spent his visit telling me that my above mentioned problem is normal for RPTV, then he said I should move the TV away from the window (even though I kept telling him, I only watch the thing at night).

Then I mentioned Jack Briggs' recommendation and he said "no such thing, you can't put any modifications like that in the TV, ha ha ha ha". Finally he suggested that maybe I should go back to a regular picture tube if RPTV wasn't spelling.

WTF!? I'm not retarded. I've been collecting DVDs for years, I know when a picture is excellent, satisfactory, or down right annoying. Why is this guy such a boner, and now what should I do!? Return the set?

Are there any other quality RPTVs at a comparable price to the JVC I'Art 48" RPTV? HEEELPPPPPPP!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The Sears "technician" speaketh of that which he doth not knoweth. One of the common things an ISF tech will often recommend and do for a customer is to the line the interior of an RPTV with non-reflective material. It's inherent to the beast. But, then, what would one expect from Sears?

For example, check out this thread that has just started, involving our own ISF-certified Gregg Loewen:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=152630

LawrenceMelL

Auditioning
Gosh,
I don't think a new set should have such a severe defect. While it may be correctable as advised, I'd bet if you exchanged it another set wouldn't do that. Did you see a display model at the store? Did it have that blob?

You might check around at this and other forums (I think hometheaterspot.com has a JVC specific forum) but I would either exchange it or try another brand.

good luck

LawrenceMelL

Auditioning
PS
I think you might do better looking at the new Hitachi, Mitsubishi, or sony. they all have ~46"-48" models.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Jarrod,

this sounds like "normal" contrast haloing.

Your contrast is probably too high. Lining your set with duvetyne will also help but not eliminate it.

regards

gregg

John_W_Sni

Auditioning
At Sears its 'Guaranteed or your money back. NO questions asked". Take the darned thing back and get your money back.

Well ... I checked out the floor model in Sears and it wasn't displaying the same problems as mine. So I figured it's just a faulty set that I got. I ask if I can switch for a new set, same model. (Keep in mind I just bought this set in June). The manager says, "No. She wants a SECOND service technician to come out to my home." Jesus, what a runaround. And I've always had such good experience with Sears over the years. :angry:

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

All RPTV's do this halo'ing in one way or another. Lining helps a bit (maybe), but the main culprit is the mirror ... cover that and your problems are solved ... no more halos ... (oh, BTW ... no more image as well).

Light goes from the crt to the mirror ... to the fresnel lens. The lens also has reflective properties so light is reflected back into the cabinet ... and back to the mirror and back and forth ...

This is a characteristic of RPTV's.

Regards

John_W_Sni

Auditioning
If you insist "satisfaction guaranteed" is what it says. Demand that they take it back and they ultimately will.

I had an issue with a table saw that was quite expensive and I got the runaround. They ultimately took it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks