What's new

Please, Please, a DVD-A question? (1 Viewer)

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
This may sound stupid, but i thought i knew enough about DVD-A until now :)
Does a reciever have to be able to play DVD-A or can any with a 5.1 input do it?
Do they have to be able to play 96khz?
Will it downconvert if not?
Thanks.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
As long as you have the 5.1 channel inputs you are all set, the signal should pass through no problem. Just a warning however. If you use low quality interconnects or your receiver clips easily the high bitrate will cause clipping that can damage your speakers.

This is a problem more with the 192k stereo tracks but it can happen with 5.1 tracks as well.

Miles_W

Second Unit
Henry,
The 5.1 input allows you to use the analog outputs on the DVD-A player, this bypasses any dacs on the reciever. so any 5.1 ready (ie any receiver with a 5.1 analog input) will allow you to play DVD-A, repovided your dvd player does so...(Hope that makes sense :D )

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Thanks guys, it makes sence.
I guess i was wondering which device did the processing.
Since DVD-A is cabable of high resolution audio, i didnt know if the receiver needed to be able to process it.
But, i guess the DVD-A player does it all since it then transfers the signal via analog outputs.
Thank you fellas!

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Just a warning however. If you use low quality interconnects or your receiver clips easily the high bitrate will cause clipping that can damage your speakers.

This is a problem more with the 192k stereo tracks but it can happen with 5.1 tracks as well.

Doug, can you explain what you mean by this? What do you mean by the high bitrate will cause clipping?

Patrick

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks