Please, Please, a DVD-A question?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry Carmona, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    This may sound stupid, but i thought i knew enough about DVD-A until now [​IMG]
    Does a reciever have to be able to play DVD-A or can any with a 5.1 input do it?
    Do they have to be able to play 96khz?
    Will it downconvert if not?
    Thanks.

2. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

As long as you have the 5.1 channel inputs you are all set, the signal should pass through no problem. Just a warning however. If you use low quality interconnects or your receiver clips easily the high bitrate will cause clipping that can damage your speakers.

This is a problem more with the 192k stereo tracks but it can happen with 5.1 tracks as well.

3. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Henry,
    The 5.1 input allows you to use the analog outputs on the DVD-A player, this bypasses any dacs on the reciever. so any 5.1 ready (ie any receiver with a 5.1 analog input) will allow you to play DVD-A, repovided your dvd player does so...(Hope that makes sense [​IMG] )

4. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Thanks guys, it makes sence.
    I guess i was wondering which device did the processing.
    Since DVD-A is cabable of high resolution audio, i didnt know if the receiver needed to be able to process it.
    But, i guess the DVD-A player does it all since it then transfers the signal via analog outputs.
    Thank you fellas!

5. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter