What's new

Please one more question...buying HDTV this weekend...help (1 Viewer)

Debra F

Agent
Thanks for reading this post...
I hope this isn't silly but here goes...
I was going to buy the Mits 73 inch but changed my mind because no 720p.
Looking at other sets that have all 18 formats .With these sets it states that any format will be "upconverted to 1080i.
Here's my question....if they upconvert everything does that mean i won't see 720p in it's orginal display?
If so does that mean i have to get a set who's "native is 720p also"
I'm confused ..is it the native i should be looking for or is the upconverted feature mean the same thing.
Still learning after all these years :)
Debra
------------------
"Knowledge Is Power"
"Your Thoughts Create Your Destiny"

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
If you want true 1080I and true 720P you should buy a set that does them both natively. With no upconverting. Unfortunately there is not too many of these sets out there in RPTV form. I think Panasonic makes one that will show both formats in their native glory.
Have you thought about a FPTV? Their is quite a few of them that will show both formats natively.
On top of all this you should probably read the thread in my signature file. The MPAA and some magor studios are trying to come out with some copy protection that could comletely render that expensive HDTV obsolete. Good luck, sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Kevin C. :)
------------------
Fight DVI/HDCP Boycott JVC. To register your opinion visit this thread http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/001913.html

Debra F

Agent
Thanks for clearing things up :)
It would be so nice if every company would agree to 1 standard.
They wonder why people aren't buying these sets as fast as they would like...IT'S SO CONFUSING THAT"S WHY!
Alot of my male friends are afraid to go in (stores )and ask questions(afraid of looking stupid) Nobody wants to look like a jerk.
This should be a simple thing..but nooooooooooooooo .
There's so much info you really need to do your homework.It shouldn't be this complicated to buy a freaking TV!
Ok i feel better...
Now to choose my tv...
I CAN"T MAKE UP MY MIND :)
Thanks again guys..simply the best :)
Debra
YES I"M AWARE OF THE PMAA THINGY..THEY HAVE SOME NERVE!
------------------
"Knowledge Is Power"
"Your Thoughts Create Your Destiny"

William Kwa

Auditioning
I think 720p has higher resolution than 1080i (720p uses higher freq). So it would be downconvert from 720p to 1080i but right now most HDTV are running at 1080i.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Honestly Debra, I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen native 720p (MNF), and yes it looks very nice, but I wouldn't say there's enough of a difference to prefer it to 1080i (I've also seen 720p converted to 1080i). ABC is the ONLY broadcaster (including satellite) using it, so you won't see it at ALL almost all the time anyway.
------------------

Craig

Second Unit
As far as RPTVs go I believe Panasonic was the only maker that supported native 720P. Apparently they're dropping it from their new sets coming out in a few months, basically in an effort to get prices as low as possible.
------------------

Mike I

Supporting Actor
The toshiba sets as well as most HD ready rptv's convert a 720p signal to 1080i..Actually your stb does the conversion as most of the hd rptv's on the market accept only 1080i and not 720p
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks