Please! Need help with LOTR soundtracks!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Matty P, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Matty P

Matty P Stunt Coordinator

So I have some gift cards to burn and was hoping to pick up some/all of the LOTR soundtracks and it seems there are plenty o' options to choose from...should I get the 3 cd set? (which I assume is missing content from the limited editions of each film that are available separately) Is the only way to get the "supertrailer" in the ROTK limited version? And if I had to choose just one, I've heard several opinions that say TTT is the best of the 3....ahhhhhhhhh! Overwhelmed! Thanks guys!

2. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

I agree that TTT is the best of the 3. Also the only way that I know of to get the super trailer is on the ROTK limited edition. I don't own the limited editions, but the others are great in my opinion.

3. Sean Cauley

Sean Cauley Stunt Coordinator

I've got the Two Towers and Return of the King Limited Editions and the regular-edition Fellowship score. I think the only thing extra on the TTT LE (aside from the deluxe book-like packaging, which is quite nice) is the short track "Leaving Lothlorien," which I didn't find to be as moving as most of the regular tracks, and which is placed after "Gollum's Song," which should by all rights be the last thing you hear on the album. TTT is a great soundtrack, though, and I like it much more than FOTR (too soon to tell on ROTK, which I just got after seeing the movie two weeks ago).

The Two Towers boasts the incredible Rohan theme, a good version of the Isengard/Uruk-Hai theme, and the great score of the Helm's Deep battle, among others. And "Gollum's Song" is one of the saddest things I've ever heard. Pound-for-pound, probably the best soundtrack.

Fellowship has great instances of the Shire/hobbit theme, especially the boys-choir rendition during "The Breaking of the Fellowship," the scary Nazgul theme from the Weathertop sequence, and the Fellowship theme, plus the intense Moria/Khazad-dum music. The Enya stuff doesn't really do it for me, though.

Return of the King has some great moments, including Billy Boyd's sad song (found in the track "The Steward of Gondor"), the Gondorian theme, "Shelob's Lair," "The Black Gate Opens," and "The Return of the King," which features the Fellowship, Gondor and hobbit themes, as well as a couple of lines sung by Viggo Mortensen. And Annie Lennox's "Into the West" is possibly even more moving than "Gollum's Song."

They're all worth buying, though ROTK is the only one for which I'd say you need to buy the LE (the DVD included has the Supertrailer and a featurette on the writing and recording of the score by Howard Shore). If you get stuck buying only one album, go for TTT.

4. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Somebody has the Supertrailer up in Quicktime - the link was posted somewhere in the recent LOTR threads in the movie forum (or you can go googling). I didn't think it was that great, anyway - felt like a chop-job. Plus, it wasn't in 5.1!! it came up PLII only for me.

5. Brian+H

Brian+H Stunt Coordinator

I guess the LOTR soundtrack will be released on DVD-AUDIO hybrid.

Anybody know whats up with the hybrid DVD-A?

6. Jason Guardiano

Jason Guardiano Stunt Coordinator