Please listen to my (long) tale of woe...and offer advice (Toshiba TV issue)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EGM, Jul 12, 2001.

1. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

Back in the early ages of 1999-2000, before the turn of the century…
    A man budgets and saves, saves and budgets and finally is able to purchase a television he deems satisfactory for his humble home theater. The model? The Toshiba Cinema Series CN36Z71, a model he would soon learn was plagued with the dreaded moiré problem.
    The man is undaunted, he spent his hard-earned cash on this TV and damn it, Toshiba was going to fix it. After two techs and two failed attempts, Toshiba stands behind their product, and in lieu of being able to fix the set, replaces it with a higher-end model, the HDTV-ready CN36X81!! The man is elated, and satisfied. The picture is beautiful, and the television works flawlessly…until…
    The man discovers a small problem; the S-video inputs don’t work! Not a real issue for him, he connects his video sources through the component inputs. After going without a TV for two months, he figures live and let live and does what any normal American male would do in a similar situation…he ignores it.
    He loves the picture, loves the TV, no complaints except for the S-video inputs. Less than a year goes by, and the man decides that before his warranty runs out, he’s going to get those S-video inputs fixed. Toshiba says no problem, but they need to take the entire set to the tech. Man figures…small sacrifice for peace of mind…
    TWO MONTHS PASS…no TV, tech and Toshiba can’t figure out how to fix it. Toshiba says not to worry, everything will be fine. Man is patient and is about to go on vacation, so he figures, OK. Toshiba sends a fix to the tech, but the tech screws up and resets the entire board in the set WIPING OUT THE WHOLE DAMN THING. This leaves the man with a 187-pound paperweight.
    Toshiba again stands behind their product. They don’t have any new boards lying around, but they do have the best tech in the nation in Chicago. He will reprogram the board, send it back and the set will be as good as new. “Good plan” the man thinks. Toshiba promises to get the set back right after the man gets back from a two-week vacation.
    The man goes on vacation, comes back only to find yet another mishap has occurred. En route to the master tech in Chicago some inept carrier broke the board in two.
    No board, no replacement, no fixed TV, no 36X81 to replace it.
    Toshiba again takes full responsibility and makes an attractive offer to the man. THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN…
    They will replace his CN36X81 with his choice of the 40H80 (16:9), 43HX70 (4:3) or 50HX70 (4:3).
    I will now step in and stop talking about myself in the third person… I am happy that Toshiba has been so good with customer service, but am now torn. I need feedback from anyone that owns any of these sets, particularly the 40H80 which I am leaning toward choosing.
    Thanks for your time and any feedback is welcome…
    GM
    [Edited last by Galen Munroe on July 13, 2001 at 08:40 AM]

2. Matthew Long

Matthew Long Extra

The 40H80 is a great set, I have the TW56X81 (the bigger brother to it) and its a great set for the money. I_believe_that out of all the models you mention, the 40H80 is the only widescreen set of the bunch, which, for me being a big film freak, is hands down the best bet. Get this and a progressive scan dvd player and you are set. A bunch of my friends have this set and they are very happy with it.
    ------------------
    Tosh TW56X81 HDTV
    Toshiba SD 5109 prog scan
    Arcam Diva AVR100
    Paradigm Monitor 7's

3. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Matthew.
    After doing a search on the board, with limited results, I have done a little more research. (i.e. audioreview.com) and have seen a lot of good feedback regarding the 40H80.
    Does anyone know why the 40X81 was disconinued and taken off the Toshiba website, and the 40H80 put back up? I know that the 40H80 is the older model, but the impression that I got from the Toshiba website is that the 40H80 is now thier standard 40" HD set. Did they update the 40H80?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    GM
    [Edited last by Galen Munroe on July 13, 2001 at 09:22 AM]

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Galen, if you don't want to go with a projection set, then you may want to ask Toshiba if you can get one of the new direct view FST flat screen HDTV-ready sets - not sure of the exact model number but they should be released sometime this year. You may also want to repost this message in the TV & Projectors forum area. Many people over there own 40H80s and searches can probably help you find out all the pros and cons of that set. Most people agree that once it is properly calibrated, it is an excellent set.
    good luck,
    --tom

5. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

Tom,
    I actually looked into getting on of their new HD tube models that are being released, but the customer service rep that I deal with wasn't positive when they woud start production. She said it could be two months or longer.
    Right now I have a 20" tv in the middle of my HT, and I have been without my tv for three months now. I think I want to take advantage of this situation if I can.
    GM

6. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

7. David Chisholm

David Chisholm Auditioning

Hi Galen,
    To answer your question the 40H80 is the new 2001 model
    that replaces the old 40x81. For some reason Toshiba is
    reusing old model numbers. This set has improved
    focusing and lens stripping amongst other minor improvements
    over the older model. I think you would be happy with this
    set if your ready to go widescreen.
    Dave.

8. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

Dave,
    Thanks, that's what I suspected. I think I am ready for 16:9, but my other half is probably going to take a little convincing.
    I am going to the local Best Buy to compare these sets to one another, taking into consideration of course the lousy calibration these sets will suffer from at the big BB.
    Thanks for your help!
    GM [​IMG]