What's new

Please Let TCM Know How They're Doing! (1 Viewer)

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Last night's wonderful debut of magnificently well-restored Harold Lloyd films and June's upcoming Italian classic/neo-realist just had to have me go to TCM's website and let them know how much I appreciated their work in preserving, restoring, and showing some of the greatest movies ever made. From the sometimes obscure to the real powerhouses of early cinema, TCM is doing first-class work. Limited station bugs, no commercial interuption, and OAR display are things HTF should support. Please let them know what you think about them and give them some suggestions.
For as much as we complain about the lack of OAR in the mass media, we should always recognize media sources that get it right. That TCM gets it right SO often should be commended.
Link Removed
BTW, I just recommended they show "The Apu Trilogy"; Brook's "Mahanbarata"; and Gance's "Napolean".

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
Jason, I couldn't agree more, TCM is doing a bang up job - I don't have a clue as to how many dvd's I have purchased after viewing a film on TCM. It's a great way to see some of the best films made with a minimal investment. After I post this, I am using your link to tell TCM to keep up the great work!

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Should this be in the TV section also?
Absolutely right. Great channel. I love the whole format......informative intros/trailers/"one reel wonders" shorts.........I thought while watching the other day, "I wonder how long before they get taken over by someone who will change things around". Don't mess with a good thing.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
By far, the best network on television.

In addition to the fine things mentioned in this thread, there was also that great Woody Allen retrospective featuring the premier of the "Woody Allen: A Life in Film" documentary wherein Woody - and only Woody - discusses in-depth all his films. If you've ever wished for a Woody commentary/interview for any and all of his films, this is a huge gift.

And several months ago, TCM did a retrospective on Andrei Tarkovsky that included the N. American premier of Chris Marker's amazing documentary on T., as well as the first ever broadcast of T's student "diploma" film, "Steamroller and Violin".

For film buffs, no other network even comes close. Kinda ironic considering what we thought of Ted Turner last decade...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I look at the TV section as the area to discuss television programs and not necessarily channels, who's primary programming is showing uncut films in their OAR. TCM is the ultimate channel for film buffs and many of the members that frequent this section of the forum probably considered themselves as such.

Crawdaddy

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
I agree Mr. Crawford - essentially we are talking about the films that these networks show. I was under the impression that this particular section {b]Movies[/b] was to discuss films in general, with the exception of newly released titles.
I have found this particular part of the forum invaluable for catching movies - for example....The Rules of the Game which was recently announced ;) - it led me to purchase The Grand Illusion, and now I am a huge Jean Renoir fan! Regards, Jim

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
TCM has become my favorite channel and I will be sending them a big "thumbs up!" for their programming! I used to feel that way about AMC years ago, but we all know what happened to that channel. I won't even bother turning in to a movie I like, as I know it will be in Pan -n- Scam!

Nathan_H

Second Unit
What's the best way to see TCM? I agree with the judgment that their programming is the best. My only troulbe has been that I have never been happy with the way their color films look via DISH... The only thing that satisfies are their 1.3 ratio BW films (which are really the heart of what they do for us, imo).

I'm in a new apt. soon, where satellites are verboten because it's a historical building, so I'm going to be moving to ATT digital cable, and I'm fearing that the picture quality will suffer even more.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
I just wanna say that TCM and FMC are the only movie channels I'll ever have. They both show movies in letterbox. FMC alternates. They both allow profanity. And both have no commercial interruptions. I used to like AMC because they would show letterbox. But not anymore. Now I mostly see them showing Pan and Scan movies. NOT GOOD!! ONCE and a great while, I'll see a letterbox movie on AMC. But, it's not enough to keep me watching it. TCM is doing a great job. Keep showing them movies in OAR!! OAR movies are the only movies I'll rent, buy, and watch. Wanna help End the Pan and scan process? I gotta couple petitions.
Help End the Pan and Scan Petition
Show Letterbox movies on Starz, HBO, and all the OTHER Movie channels.
Please support OAR and sign these petitions.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I also like how they have that guy that looks like George Clooney's father giving a bit about the background of the movie before and after it airs.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
FYI, TCM's host is Robert Osborne. Unlike the moronic hosts on AMC, he's actually a film historian.

When my suggestion to air Around the World in Eighty Days in widescreen was accepted, the head of programming stated that they try to show OAR whenever possible.

If it's ever a non-OAR transfer, it's always because it's either the only transfer out there (they had to put up with a P&S The Elephant Man, probably) or the studio they're showing didn't give them a widescreen version (they DO show a lot of MGM, Paramount, and some Disney stuff)

What really is the cool factor is that they're the only channel who would show the 4-hour versions of Napoleon and Greed.

Even showings of newer movies like Austin Powers and The Hudsucker Proxy were shown letterboxed. Take that AMC!

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Speaking of which, Patrick, was that showing of the OAR "Around the World in Eighty Days" a one shot deal? When TCM showed it again in April, it was that awful dirty print from the vhs.

Nathan_H

Second Unit
What delivery method do you have, Jefferson, for TCM (cable, digital cable, Dish, DirectTV?) that enables you to judge picture quality of their source material? I guess in some cases, it's obvious, but there are many times when I can't tell the finer details of a transfer because of the quality of the signal from DISH.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Just let me say that TCM KICKS ASS!!!
This is truly a channel made for movie buffs! I really hope that everyone who has responded to this thread has also taken the time to go to the TCM website listed in Jason's original post to let them know that we Home Theatre Movie fans truly appreciate what they are doing.
We are pretty quick to do petitions and raise hell when a things are done wrong. It is just as important to let them know when they are doing it RIGHT! Who knows, perhaps if AMC received more positive feedback when they were doing more OAR they would have continued to do so!
I saw the Woody Allen special that Rich referred to. Great example of the great content that is available on TCM!
Great job guys! :emoji_thumbsup:

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
By the way, the former AMC host that was mentioned is Nick Clooney. He looks remarkably like George Clooney because he is his father. Unlike the dork they have introducing their films now, Mr. Clooney is a big lover of films and is quite knowledgable on the subject. He left AMC soon after the start of their long, painful descent into Hell.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Speaking of which, Patrick, was that showing of the OAR "Around the World in Eighty Days" a one shot deal? When TCM showed it again in April, it was that awful dirty print from the vhs.
Well, TCM had to choose between the LBX 150 min. cut or the P&S 180 min. cut. Sadly, the 180 min. cut is a lot more "well-known" than the shorter. Ironically, both versions lack the overture, intermission, and exit music...which is present on the soundtrack CD! The intermission is the most missed...there's a very obvious jump cut in the middle of the movie (shot of a ship going by) which was where the intermission used to be. The overture was spliced off, as was the exit music.

And now for the other possible reason...

The restoration of the film IS underway and a lot of evidence has revealed that this is a full restoration. The film was shot on 65mm in both 24fps and 30fps speeds. The 24fps negative used a few duplicate shots from the 30fps negative...which was generally limited to non-dialogue shots. The color process used was... EASTMANCOLOR The 70mm prints were printed in Eastmancolor, while the anamorphic 35mm prints were printed in beautiful Technicolor. I think some Technicolor prints still exist since the 1968 re-release featured them. The LBX transfer by TCM obviously used a Tech print, but with safety film decomposition (whites are slightly yellowed)

It gets better. The original negative was used to print every 70mm print, directly. (contact printing) The film was stored in the Cinestage theater for some time...without proper preservation. By the time WB recieved the film via Liz Taylor, the elements were in poor shape. I think all the elements *exist*, but the condition ranges from awful to workable from what I've heard/read. However, Kodak developed a process to remove a varnish coating to one of 30fps 65mm negatives. To add to the confusion, the prologue (up until the rocket launch) was shot on 35mm film (the only part which was shot on normal film). That means it may be lost, with only an interpositive remaining. Also, the full soundtrack appears to exist in one form or another since the TCM LBX transfer had a very nice Dolby Surround track, complete with directional sound.

With confirmation from American Cinematographer, it looks like a new 70mm print of the film will be around. It may even be in Technicolor since the company has revived that process. Also, the VHS has gone out of print.

WB most likely has the film "supressed" from good quality TV showing to allow the eventual re-release and DVD to pull in the most money. The amount of supplements for 80 Days is staggering (the 65mm negatives to an alternate prologue and 2 deleted musical numbers are among the preserved material in the Library of Congress's film archive)

After all, the old Superman VHS was discontinued when the restored version came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks