Please Keep Shopping The Little Guy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Marsh, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Steve Marsh

Steve Marsh Stunt Coordinator

I was looking through some of the posts that I have made on this forum and feel I need to put in a good word for the small independent audio shops.
    In the past I have been very critical over some of the treatment I have received from these shops. Having said that I would like to state that this has been the exception and not the rule. It is and has always been my opinion that the small independents are a better place to shop. They have been under heavy pressure and IMO unfair competition from the Chains and the Internet as of late.
    Over the past 20 years I have bought a lot of equip from these small guys and for the most part have been very well treated and kept happy. Lately I have fallen into the trap of voicing my disapproval with some of the things that have happened between myself and one retailer while not voicing my praise for the times these people have helped me out. Fair is fair so here goes.
    IMO there is no better service than can be had from the small guy overall. Try going into a chain store and discussing the finer points of a products performance with the Junior High School salesman. It's not gonna happen. After that ask him what the best way to adopt this new equip into your current sys will be. Then ask how he feels the new equip will blend with your current setup. Sure it'll work but will it sound brite, or dull. Well you get the idea.
    I bought a set of Paradigm Speakers from a small independent here in Winnipeg and after a while I noticed a sort of buzzing coming from the tweeters. I never really noticed it until I was running test tones and then when I ran a 1K signal it was faint but there. After that I started noticing it on some music probably only because I was listening hard for it. I took the speakers to the retailer and they said they had not seen this before but speculated there may be some shavings in the Ferro fluid. They got me new tweeters in less than a week and let me install myself. My guess is that if it had been a big chain I may still have gotten new tweeters but am sure they would have sent the speakers away and I would have been w/o my system for a long time.
    That is only 1 example of many that drives me to shop the little guy whenever possible.
    Just had to get that in to offset some of the negatives I have posted as of late.
    Steve

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I couldn't agree more.

Many times the specialy shop will tell me NOT to buy something. Thats a pleasant surprise.

example
    1) I need to buy an OTA HD tuner in time to watch the superbowl (this is on the saturday before the game). Salemen said - John, I'd be happy to sell you one but you don't need it. Call the cable company. They just starting rolling out HD this week in preparation for the game. Watched the SB in HD.

Also all their TVs are in controlled lighting and have been properly adjusted.

3. Ray Gutnick

Ray Gutnick Stunt Coordinator

Ray
    Creative Audio?

4. Steve Marsh

Ray
    I make it a point to never mention the names of ANY retailers in ANY of my posts.
    Steve

5. howard plato

howard plato Auditioning

I'd second Steve's original sentiment. When I was shopping for speakers for family in Winnipeg, I went through the small shop on Osbourne (actually through one of the admins here) Since I don't live there I felt that this establishment would offer better support. The prices were fair, and service fantastic.

However I have bought many items from the Internet, since often I just need a transaction processed. Case in point, I saved nearly $1000 CDN buying my camcorder from an online site rather than locally. It's just not worth the time and inconvenience to haggle in person.

howard

6. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Too bad the "majority" of customers including many on this forum will walk for forty dollars,... but I guess needs are needs.
    I feel bad for the local retailer in general. Some really don't deserve your business.
    I hope everyone really loves the internet, b/c it is being made the future. I can't wait till I demo speakers through mp3 files of different speakers I download off the internet and play through my pc speakers.

I've always wondered if B&M's should start charging for showroom privileges which then go towards the purchase and just focus on the online sales dept. That would be an interesting business model in about 3-5 years. It would give a new meaning to the term "service plan."

7. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

I buy almost all my AUdio and Video gear locally. Truth be told I would sacrifice "some" service if I could get the great prices on gear from the internet. I feel I do enough reaserch on most stuff I don't kneed the sales person on most (not all speakers for example you need to listen to). I do appreciate their advice and often it really helps but for the many hours I have to listen to my gear I'd like to be able to have that better amp or DVD player that the internet can sell me for much less.

So why do I buy from B&M and mostly small stores. Beacuse I live in Nova Scotia Canada! Between the US excange and high shipping costs and in some cases duties it has to be an OUTRAGEOUS deal for me to buy from the internet. A $600 Us set of spekers rapidly becomes over $1000 canadian with shipping and exchange if the company will even ship to me.

The two small dealers I have bought from will continue to get my business but as much as I like the service if I could get much better gear for the same price on the internet I would.

8. Mike Up

Mike Up Second Unit

9. Steve Marsh

Mike
    Sorry bout that. I DID NOT mean any outlet in particular.
    Steve

10. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

Steve,

I agree with your sentiments. I've had as much difficulty with large chains as with small shops (but not a great deal of trouble with either). I think it USUALLY makes a difference in how you approach them, how flexible you are, and who (in the hierarchy) you deal with. Sometimes the lower tier salesman is more willing to attempt to work things out, and sometimes the manager is who to talk to. Whoever you are working with, losing your temper never works and asking them to suggest a solution is always a good first or second step.

Doug