1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Please info on ben hur

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Littlejohn, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Mark Littlejohn

Hey Guys I had to do it, IF you will I purchaced Ben Hur last night so I can watch it tonight uaually im not into the older movies , but I can't wait until I get home #1 is it a good movie and hoe is the transfer and sound thanks..

2. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Hi Mark! Welcome to the forum!
    To save you a lot of searching, the DVD was a hot topic of debate re: its color quality and presentation in its aspect ratio, but over time, the overall consenus is that it's a great investment. It generally uses the same materials from the laserdisc box set, plus a new (albeit minimalist) commentary from Taylor - I mean, Moses - I mean "a better actor".
    ------------------
    "Fearless Freep?! That's mmma boy!"

3. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

As for the movie itself. Incredible performances and a great story. But, it is very long.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.
    My DVD Collection

4. Rain

Rain Producer

I saw Ben Hur a few years ago in a theater and the DVD is leaps and bounds better. The theatrical presentation was something along the lines of 2.20:1 or so, grainy, faded and I think even cut. The DVD comes close to the original AR of 2.76:1 (I think it measures 2.70:1 or so), is clear and beautiful, I believe is the complete running time and looks terrific.
    Plus, the disc is cheap.
    Buy it.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "People always clap for the wrong things." - J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
    Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.
    Please sign the online petition against Warner Brothers' recent non-OAR releases. Click here.

5. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Not to mention a commentary with Chuck! (despite this, and Planet of the Apes, and Ten Commandments being out on DVD, there's still a conspiracy theorist floating around here....)
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

6. Mark Littlejohn

Thanks alot fellas I cant wait to be up all viewing this one