Please info on ben hur

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Littlejohn, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Mark Littlejohn

Hey Guys I had to do it, IF you will I purchaced Ben Hur last night so I can watch it tonight uaually im not into the older movies , but I can't wait until I get home #1 is it a good movie and hoe is the transfer and sound thanks..

2. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Hi Mark! Welcome to the forum!
    To save you a lot of searching, the DVD was a hot topic of debate re: its color quality and presentation in its aspect ratio, but over time, the overall consenus is that it's a great investment. It generally uses the same materials from the laserdisc box set, plus a new (albeit minimalist) commentary from Taylor - I mean, Moses - I mean "a better actor".
    ------------------
    "Fearless Freep?! That's mmma boy!"

3. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

As for the movie itself. Incredible performances and a great story. But, it is very long.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.
    My DVD Collection

4. Rain

Rain Producer

I saw Ben Hur a few years ago in a theater and the DVD is leaps and bounds better. The theatrical presentation was something along the lines of 2.20:1 or so, grainy, faded and I think even cut. The DVD comes close to the original AR of 2.76:1 (I think it measures 2.70:1 or so), is clear and beautiful, I believe is the complete running time and looks terrific.
    Plus, the disc is cheap.
    Buy it.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "People always clap for the wrong things." - J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
    Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.
    Please sign the online petition against Warner Brothers' recent non-OAR releases. Click here.

5. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Not to mention a commentary with Chuck! (despite this, and Planet of the Apes, and Ten Commandments being out on DVD, there's still a conspiracy theorist floating around here....)
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

6. Mark Littlejohn

Thanks alot fellas I cant wait to be up all viewing this one