What's new

Please identify this swingin' instrumental oldie! (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've been hearing this lately on an internet radio station and it's one of the few they don't identify. The station only plays '50s and '60s music, so it's in that era (not that I need to tell you that once you hear it). The most identifiable part is around 55 seconds, I imagine.

I hope somebody knows because this is killer and I want to own it and I want more like it!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The song title is just "Topsy." That particular recording (and title) is just one of many, and to be honest, it is rather weak. If it is the drum solo you like, I'd recommend looking up some Louie Bellson, as well as many other far more exciting and interesting drummers.

FWIW, probably my favorite recording of "Topsy" is found on THIS album. Definitely scaled back from the Cole version.

I just listened to DH's version of Topsy and talk about swinging. It may be more subtle than Cole, but you'll never hear a group swing better than on that one.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I mainly like the organ. It gives it a nice Halloween feel. I'm not a total neophyte when it comes to this era's jazz or pop. I just hadn't run across this particular track.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's funny, because the Hammond (at least that's what it sounds like) pretty much ruins it for me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've never liked a Hammond B-3 in anything... I don't know why, I just don't.

Not even in Sinatra's That's Life.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree with Aaron. I also tend to agree with Mike, with the exception of Deep Purple, who did wonders in a way nobody would have ever expected.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
So, are you fellows alleging that you don't enjoy Arthur Brown's "Fire?" Shocking.

Do y'all like the Fender Rhodes? I won't even know what to say if the answer is no. :frowning:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey! :D

Some people like chocolate, while others like vanilla. I always thought this was a place where people could agree to disagree...

To my ears, Hammond B-3 = cheesy.

And, if I didn't know better...I'd say Greg was trying to bait me with that Arthur Rhodes question. :laugh: Next thing you know, he'll be putting up some Doors, Light My Fire. :eek:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I am interested in the Fender Rhodes question, though, Mike. Do you like it alright? I'm sure you are familiar with it, but here's a nice example:

Or this more familiar song:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm laughing uncontrollably about my having intermixed Arthur Brown & Fender Rhodes into Arthur Rhodes! :laugh: Arthur Rhodes wasn't even that good of a pitcher! But he had a menacing look on the mound.

I'm okay with the Fender Rhodes sound. I actually have a fair amount of Gap Mangione & Bob James in my LP collection. It's pretty limited, however. Nothing will ever replace the sound of acoustic piano. Does the electric piano still get much use these days? It seems like a sound stuck in the late '70s/early '80s.

I noted with sadness that Gerry Niewood...a saxophonist with both Gap & his brother Chuck (and many others)...was on that plane that crashed in Buffalo last week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks