What's new

Please identify sci fi movie (1 Viewer)

Movie was broadcast on A&E in Canada about 5 years ago and I never did get to watch most of it. If my memory is correct, it starts out with someone getting murdered and said murder gets investigated. The different part of this movie is that it takes place in a society that is run by the nazis (as if they had won WW2). This movie seemed to be a newer movie (5 or 10 yrs. old) and the storyline fairly modern (what I can remember). Any ideas as to the title? Thank You.

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
They made a movie out of "Fatherland". And it starred Rutget Hauer? Shit. I like that book. It's on my re-read shelf for this year. Goes to IMDB...

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
Though not exactly like the book, I really enjoyed the film version of "Fatherland". It represents a genuinely interesting 'alternate history' story, a subgenre of science fiction that doesn't often make it to the screen. Can anyone remember any other 'alternate history' films?

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
If you ever want to know the name of a movie and you dont know the name but do know an actor who is in it, try: imdb.com

It comes in very handy.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, there was a very bad alternative-history film in which, again, the Nazis won the War. This was a threatrical-release film, the title of which escapes me.

Wouldn't it be nice, though, to see the greatest of such SF titles, Philip K. Dick's Hugo Award-winning The Man in the High Castle, translated well to the screen?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Another specific alternative history film dealing with WWII and the Nazis ( and I suspect is not the film Jack is thinking about ) was It Happened Here. Several other alternative history films that come to mind include:

The Final Countdown
White Man's Burden

Considering how many of Phillip K. Dick's works have made it to the screen, it seems inevitable that The Man In The High Castle will eventually be made into a film. One can only hope that the filmmakers are capable of doing justice to arguably what is Dick's best novel.

- Walter.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Walter, the movie I'm thinking of, which I saw in glorious pan and scan on one of the pay channels, was of a very slash-burn-crash-smash "action" bent. I think it's a service man who awakens somehow to a modern America run by the Nazis. Per Hollywood conformist tradition, there's a love story. And I remember a clueless Nazi propoganda minister trying to come up with permissible pop-music/entertainment possibilities for the people of America.

Does that ring any bells?

Good call, Walter, on White Man's Burden.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Fortunately ( :) ) I've never had the pleasure of seeing the film you are thinking about Jack.

Thinking about alternative histories I'm surprised that given their popularity in SF literature that more of those types of stories haven't made their way to film. Of course many of those types of stories ( that I've read ) were shorter in length and lent themselves more readily to SF anthologies such as The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks