What's new

Please I need to know about CC in R1 to control my mothers temper! (1 Viewer)

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
My mom using my DVD player for a present, and I gave her a disc called "Return to Me" with David Duchovny and Minnie Driver, R1 and CC. Like a lot of Irish mothers she called me right up, and said there is NO english on the closed captioning; yet it says CC. Why in tarnation wouldn't MGM put a English closed captioning along with French and Spanish?

Ladies and Gentlemen if you see CC on the box how can you be sure there is going to be English closed captioning? Man she was hot 86 and irish temper hot, at me for giving her a unhearable and no Closed Captioning in English. She has a digital hearing aid but steadfastly has closed captioning on everything DVD, I have to search my vast library for non offensive, non sexual, no harsh language yet she acts like "The Quiet Man"'s wife played by Maureen O` Hara Blair.

I need to know how or why a studio will release a R1 print a CC on the back and not have English as the primary closed captioning! Mom and we all have one wants only movies with english closed captioning, How do you tell? :b

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Possibly the film has subtitles in french and spanish and english is only in the closed captioning video signal?

Try turning on closed captioning through the TV and see what happens.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
Subtitles are player generated, and come in multiple languages. Closed captioning is tv generated, must be turned on by the tv and not by the dvd player, and are mainly in english.

Sounds like your mother just needs to turn on her tv's closed captioning all the time and not mess with dvd player subtitles unless the disc is not labeled as closed captioned (but does have english subtitles!)

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Rob the DVD player is not compatible to her Panny 36" analog set, if the disc doesn't have a english closed captioning; I am in for it again. Rob this why I am asking for help I am at wits end trying to please her before she cuts loose on me like I did it personally.:b

Robs thanks for quick response.

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff her closed captioning is *on* All the time I didn't want to go 'off topic', she has a 2004 Panasonic 36" analog even though I offered to buy her a wide screen HDTV. I had to pay $999 for her analog 4:3! I don't know what else to do!:b

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff I have to put her DVD discs in for her and yes I tried and found out there was no option, but pushed play and all hell broke lose. Jeff just when I finally got through to her what she was missing, I have my head in the sandbox to her again. I am not a mamas boy and she is getting on in her years, I just wanted to give her something for her golden years. But!

Jeff I gave her the progressive DVD player in 2001 I had to change it to Inter Laced of course, my HDTV will do as you say if you choose close captioning it will be in the DVD. Mom lives 7/8 of a mile from me, I am disabled and have to use a electric scooter to go up a big hill to her Mother/Daughter house. My sister and her husband don't know squat about Home Theater and don't have DVD only Vcr. Too close but I have no choice, Live in a elderly and disabled appartment building with low rent. I have free use of the elevator and hallways with my 4.5 MPH scooter.

I am a independent apartment dweller I do *not* want her spare bedroom, there wouldn't be a strong enough roof when she raises it!

What about no that wouldn't work for my HDTV is so different than her Panny analog, I just hope I can get some advice that will work. I am tired of being called good 'boy'(age 57) one minute then she put's me down yet again like I have no fealings. It isn't fair!

BTW She doesn't have red hair she is a grey haired former brunette with a kick ass attitude! :b

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Can you get the tv's closed captionning to work with any dvd? If not, try S-video instead of component video inputs.

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Steve. S. Mom's TV is a analog and doesn't have component at all I have it hooked up to the TV's only S-Video input. She gets cable TV but that is from Service Electric Cable, BTW Mom doesn't give a hoot whether the sound is monoural or stereo, just as long as it comes from her TV; unlike my tastes!

Steve I know some TV brands like JVC have component, but not her own picked but paid for by me. This is one problem I 'never' thought I would have to deal with, why a big studio like MGM would put the CC on the back and not have English only french and spanish subtitling oAKA Closed Captioning. Thank the lord you don't have a mother like me. The reponders all had good ideas but I had tried all of them before I would be asking for help.

I have come to wits end on trying to find out how I can get a workaround should I get a disc with the same problem, this the 9th disc. Yet the Panasonic 36" was bought for her in mid 2003. The DVD player is a RCA RC6000P(progressive but slide switched to Inter Laced) it came as a rebate for buying my RCA F38310 in May of 2001. She wouldn't even use it till I finally talked her into trying it around June of 2002. Steve I just don't know what else to do, I am into to different genres of Horror, Sci-Fi, erotic murder mysteries; but she is a devout Catholic.:b

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Have you double-checked the caption settings on the TV? I have a Panasonic and mine seem to reset all the time for no particular reason.

I usually have mine set to "CC only on MUTE," but every so often it seems to default back to the factory "no caption" settings.

And, yes, the captions are generated through the television. Captions are different from the subtitles listed on the DVD case.

I have a Panasonic 27" analog, DVD connected through S-video, and when I "mute" the TV, the DVD captions pop-up automatically (when the "CC on MUTE" setting is selected).

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Malcolm I never thought of that one, for I don't have cable TV by choice. It's worth a try anything at this point would be worth a try, I'll try that out today when I scoot up to moms house for my usual lunch. Malcolm don't get me wrong I am no free loader, I know how to cook but refusing her gets her into a winge; then she won't talk to me for 3 days, then act like it never happened.:b

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Christian I am the one that's disabled not her, who do you think would win me or my Irish tempered mom. I gave her the instructions about putting the TV on mute, over the phone it was raining ahhhhhhh :D

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
On my DVD player there is an option to enable or disable Closed-Captioning. (And yes, I know the difference between Closed-Captioning and Subtitles.)

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff that's the hard one to answer, she *lost* the manual on the RCA RC6000P, without a manual I can't do squat. I have manuals of items bought long ago. I have a habit of keeping manuals for reference or to possibly answer a question brought up by a htf member. Does anyone here have a RCA 6000P manual that could answer Jeff's response please?

Believe me if you were in this situation you too would use a blush smilie without batting a eyelid, to get the necessary info to this continuing problem! It's not a woman you met in a department store, it's the woman who carried you for 9 months and gave 'birth' to you! The woman who raised you taught you right from wrong, taught you how to cook.

I could go on and on but every word should hit home to each Human Being on this forum. The movie "To Sir With Love" comes into focus, and how do you thank someone that has done all of the above? Trying my/your best in this case to give her golden years, a new experience from the old VCR to DVD. I am just sorry I couldn't convince her to go widescreen like mine is. She won't *BUDGE* from her 4:3 thinking that a lot is missing when those awful to her black bars are seen(her words to me)!

I am so glad that there are not so many people like my mom or Wide screen HDTV would 'fail' to the general public, and only us that love this wide screen format would be a small minority! Since I was not along on her impulse buying trip, there was nothing I could do but pay the bill. I also pay her monthly www.sectv.com bill. Service Electric was the 1st cable company in the USA starting in 1948, they have Digital HDTV programming but I am getting off the topic subject. Please check to see if you have your 2001 RCA RC6000P DVD Player manual. Thank you friends from the bottom of my heart and to have peace of mind once more with my Irish tempered mother. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I have a number of discs that have the CC logo on the package but don't actually have the CC signal. (I believe Dummy was the last disc I watched like that -- go figure!)

Don't know why they do this.

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
AAron I have run into the same situation only mom uses closed captioning, I use my just arrived by Fed-Ex air Fostex T-40 full size closed headphones S/Q or P/Q headphones for my surround virtualizer DSP_PRO from Sennheiser. Lorrie Morgan used(use pause to see) Fostex T20 in DVD Beach Boys:Nashville Sounds, singing "Don't Worry Baby". I really want to hear not 'read' her beautiful Country and Western voice.

__________________________________________________ ________

Malcom thank you for the portable document file on the RCA RC6000P, I read where if it doesn't have it on the disc your Sh*t out of luck. I also tried the 'mute' but it didn't work either. I think I have had it with the studios not knowing what's on 'their' discs. Maybe I should scoot up @4.5 M.P.H. my remaining VHS collection up to my good old mom, and let her think she is getting every scrap to fill the 4:3 black bars nonsense.

My "Stargate" U.E. showed thousands of extras coming down to save the day, much more than quite a few of her analog 4:3 can hold at one time! Black bars are still present but I watch the DVD movie! Black bars are sure hard to 'see' when you're in a darkened movie theater IMHO!

Gentlemen I thank you for your reponses to age old getting along with your parents, I don't think "The Breakfast Club" represented all of the generation problems. After reading your well thought out responses I am in a quandry void of big studios lying unintentially or ?¿? about the print content on the back cover art of a keep/snapper case. :frowning:

BTW I was up at moms when I read on the package French and Spanish subtitles, next time I will read a bit more before buying another headache from her Irish fit session.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks