Please I Need Help...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by George Bir, Sep 8, 2004.

1. George Bir

George Bir Stunt Coordinator

Hope I haven't done anything wrong. If I did please tell me, I'll try not to do it again. I Use to get responses to threads.

I have a chance to purchase a new Denon avr985 for 200 less than the 2805 is there any differences?
    Is the 985 an older or newer model?

Sounds like a great deal I want ot move on, but I can't find any info on the 985. Even on the Denon site.

I thank all in advance for your help.

2. careyc

careyc Auditioning

here is a link

A website "aboutgizmos" has info on the 985

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

If you download the manual for the AVR-2805, you will see that the AVR-985 is the same receiver - and probably mentioned on the front page of the user manual.

However, there are a few things to be aware of:

1) The AVR-985 only has a 1-year warranty vs. a 2-year warranty on the AVR-2805.

2) The power output on the AVR-985 is rated @ 6 Ohms, so it appears higher than the AVR-2805, which is rated @ 8 Ohms. However, both receivers produce the same output and the ratings are just for advertising.

This question only comes up about once a month on the forum here. You might also want to search for "985" and see what you come up with.

4. George Bir

George Bir Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your help.

I have tried to search the reciever forum under Denon 985 and have not come up with any results.
    Maybe my methods searching are as bad as they are here.

Since we may purchase 5 yr. extended coverage for $50, we should be alright.

Thanks again.

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

As I type this I am looking at the cover of the owner's manual that came with my 2805.

It says:

DENON
    AV SURROUND RECEIVER

AVR-2805/985

OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS

(caps theirs as printed on the cover)

Some mfgs publish the same manual for 2 or 3 different products in their line, with specific differences in procedure or specs for each model noted in the text. There are no such notes in this manual, everything is exactly the same.

Power ratings are listed on the spec page separately for 8 ohm and 6 ohm loads, with no difference noted between the two model numbers.

You can rest assured that the only difference between the two model #s is the warranty.