Please...I Beg You...Tell Me About The Samsung DVD-P701

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonH, Jan 9, 2002.

1. JasonH

JasonH Extra

There seems to be a blackout of information about virtually all Samsung products. I "took the plunge" on a Samsung HCL552W 55" HDTV without having many reviews or opinions to base my decision on. I should receive it in a few weeks.

So, to my question. Does anybody know anything about the DVD-P701 progressive-scan DVD player? Has anybody tried it out? Compared it to the Panasonic RP56? Are there any reviews of it anywhere?

I can't find it at any local stores, and although I'm not too squeamish when it comes to ordering things sight-unseen, I would like to see either professional or consumer reviews before I buy.

One other consideration: Samsung has $100 rebate on the player if you also purchase a qualifying TV, which mine does. That would bring the price down to about $100 for the player.

Thanks for any info,

Jason

2. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Jason, I bought an inexpensive Samsung player, and the player tends to cause the video to skip or freeze for a split second throughout the film. So I personally wouldn't buy another Samsung. Other than that, the picture quality it produced was pretty amazing for such a cheap player. Maybe they've fixed that problem, but I would be skeptical about buying another Samsung. As for other Samsung products, I have no idea. I'd recommen a Panasonic, Pioneer, or a Sony player. Toshiba is pretty good as well.