What's new

please help!!! (1 Viewer)

biggish

Auditioning
Real Name
Trevor
Hi everyone a little help or advice would be great my home theater has become my obbsesion i wold like to increase the sound the receiver im running is kenwood vr-4090 great product ijust want more power my Question is do i need to get a pre amp a power amp or a surrond amp i did come a cross a kenwood km897 power amp but have not hooked it up i dont want alot of componets as im limited to space right know so the wife says!! any advice would be great and price wise i dont want to spend alot of money a few hundred mabey thanks again

kenwood vr4090,
kenwood cd403,
toshiba dr4 multidrive dvd recorder,
sony 52" big screen
soundstage speakers
home made pioneer 12" powered sub

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Some people get a receiver , others get a preamp with a multichannel amp. Typically, (with exceptions) receivers are compromises. The fit everything in one chassis, and to meet a price point they skimp on the power supplies and amplifiers. Going with a two piece set up (seperates) is more expensive than a receiver, but usually gets you better performance. One of the best bang for the buck seperates combo is by outlaw audio: http://www.outlawaudio.com/ As to the extra AMP, I don't understand why you would use it. Your receiver does 120wpc, and the 2 channel kenwood amp is a 100wpc. You would be losing 20wpc.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Biggish. Welcome to HTF!

Adam is correct: your receiver is already a power-house for HT. While separate amps DO give a bit better sound for music, they really dont make a difference in a dialog-heavy movie system.

To be honest: it's not usually the L/C/R.. speakers that need tons of power. But the subwoofer is a different story. This is what makes a powerful-sounding HT system.

Try this: tell the receiver all your speakers are "small". This will keep the receiver from trying to waste power sending low-frequency sounds to 5 poorly-placed surround speakers. ('poorly-placed' for low-frequency sounds that is. :) )

Corner load the sub. Put it in the corner of the 2 longest, un-broken walls in your room to get the maximum wall-reflection. Then level-adjust the speakers with a SPL meter and Avia or Digital Video Essentials.

Leave the system this way for 1-2 weeks. If you still feel the system is under-powered, it might be time to get a second subwoofer.

Hope this helps.

biggish

Auditioning
Real Name
Trevor
Thanks for the advice i will try that and see how it goes thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks