PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Scott Lang

Agent
Okay, first want to say thanks for all the previous help. I think I have learned a few things in the process, but still very confused on what to get. Let me try and sum this up pretty short.

Wife has a big fancy armoire and it cannot be replaced, period. So I have to find a tv that will fit inside it. Height wise is not a problem at all, I have all the room I could possibly need. But width Im limited. This armoire is kind where the 2 doors open/close. From door to door I have exactly 44.75". So theoretically I can fit alot of 46" tv into that spot. But each door has a little hinge on it and when the doors are pulled out (have to pull out to close doors) the hinges will get in the way if its a tight fit. So really I need to find a tv that is UNDER 44" wide.

Before I did any research I went into a local CC and BB and was immediately drawn to the LCD/Plasma screens. Ill be honest, I never really even looked at the projection sets. I had already made up my mind I wanted flat panel. Not because they are flat, I have an armoire and dont really care that they are only 6" deep. But because the LCD/Plasma just seem brighter and more vibrant looking to me.

So then I did a little research and started narrowing it down. I learned about 720p/1080p, etc etc... Bad news is I have not found a single 46" LCD under 44". The Sony 46" LCDs are 44.13" which I think would fit, but be a very very tight fit. I think to CLOSE the armoire I would actually have to twist the tv diagonal in the armoire to close the doors. Not to mention, with being such a tight fit I do not know how this will affect air flow and might cause heat issues...?????

So that being said, it limits me to an LCD under 46" because of width issues. Since there are no 43",44",45" sets, Im stuck with 42" or 40". I really like the Sony V-series. But it only comes in 40" and not 42". Why did Sony do this... UGGHHH!!!

I have seen the kdl-40v2500 in person and LOVE the picture, everything about it seems like perfect tv for me except the size. I currently have a 36" CRT 4:3 tv and I did some measurements. The SCREEN SIZE on the 40" will actually be about 2" shorter than my current tv. When watching a DVD movie in widescreen I do not think it will be much of an issue because right now I have the black bars and its kinda like I watch movies on a 20" widescreen right now (only have my tv is actual picture it seems)... but when watching regular 4:3 content, I will be losing about 2" of viewable space if I go with the 40" widescreen tv.

I hate to spend over $2k and get it home and be disapointed because it "feels smaller". So that got me to look for other brands and try and find a 42" 1080p tv. Well there are none that I have seen that get good reviews. Sharp seems to be the best, but have seen many bad reviews on this set.

So then I started thinking, well maybe I can skip out on 1080p and go with a Samsung or something else, but not sure if I want to do that.

Then someone suggested DLP, I can actually get a 46" DLP that will fit in my width specs. But Im hesitant because I have never really liked the projection style tvs back in the day. I hate that if you arent directly in front you wont get a good picture. I dont know if new technology is better, but I havent even looked at these tvs in person so I dont know one thing about them...

So here are my options..

1. Get Sony 40" LCD, has almost everything I want in a tv, but afraid its too small compared to my 36" tv I have now

2. Get Sharp or other 42" 1080p, but not sure which is best

3. Get 42" LCD thats not 1080p, again not sure which would be best

4. Get 46" DLP, I will get the biggest tv this route, but will it be best quality? Obviously wont be 1080p, but thats not really even my concern with it.

This tv will be used as my family's primary tv. We will watch everything from Sunday football to wife's decorating shows. I will get HD satelite btw. I do not currently have one, but plan to get an Xbox 360 or ps3. So this tv will be used to play games also (kinda why I ruled out Plasma). Since I will have xbox/ps3 I will have capability of playing games and watching movies in 1080p, so thought be cool to take advantage of that.f

The tv will be setup in my living room. Its a pretty large room, but couches, chairs are only about 8-9 feet from tv. The room does have some large windows and I do get some annoying reflection on my current tv (has glass front)... so another reason I ruled out plasma...

so, with all this said... Im looking for some help. Im torn on what I should do. Seems like there is not clear cut option for me. No matter what I do, I will be sacrificing something (size, resolution, etc)...

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
You could get the Sony LCD projection screen KDF-46E2000. It's not 1080p, but you may want to compare it to the DLP sets. If you decide you prefer flat panel, look at the Sharp or Westinghouse 42" set.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
46 " samsung....probably cost you about 1200-1400 ?? It has a very thin bezel and the speakers are below (vs on the sides).

marcIs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
marc turcotte
In regards with 1080p your setting about 8-9 feet away at a max screen of 46 inch, there relay is no point at looking at 1080p the humin eye can only see so much, the further back you set the less info youll see, so 720p I think would be enought. With DLP the bulb needs to be cooled off is there ventilation in your cabnent? Also are you or someone else setting off to the side?, if so dlp might not be right. I have seen many LCDs sony and the samsung to be the best to look at, the sharp well at least now a days seem to be falling of the band wagin. The sony is natural it has a nice soft white, good blues but a little week on blacks, but what lcds does'nt. The samsung has a nice frame to it lots of style and quality to boot. I have used the samsung in game mode and wow it's sharp. Of all the sets I do prefer the Samsung but the 46inch wont fit you could look at 40inch from sony. It might seem little small to you now but I would rather have quality over quaninity

marcIs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
marc turcotte
In regards with 1080p your setting about 8-9 feet away at a max screen of 46 inch, there relay is no point at looking at 1080p the humin eye can only see so much, the further back you set the less info youll see, so 720p I think would be enought. With DLP the bulb needs to be cooled off is there ventilation in your cabnent? Also are you or someone else setting off to the side?, if so dlp might not be right. I have seen many LCDs sony and the samsung to be the best to look at, the sharp well at least now a days seem to be falling of the band wagin. The sony is natural it has a nice soft white, good blues but a little week on blacks, but what lcds does'nt. The samsung has a nice frame to it lots of style and quality to boot. I have used the samsung in game mode and wow it's sharp. Of all the sets I do prefer the Samsung but the 46inch wont fit you could look at 40inch from sony. It might seem little small to you now but I would rather have quality over quaninity

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo