Please Help?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Harwell, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Matthew Harwell

Matthew Harwell Auditioning

I have a question on my new SD533 that was just delivered a couple of days ago. I am noticing that the center of my screen is brighter than the edges and corners. Does anyone know what might be causing that? It seems to me that the brightness of the picture should be even throughout. You can see it the most when there is a solid colored backgroud as I just noticed on a commercial that displayed a solid blue background and it was pretty evident. I am not trying to nit-pick but I don't have any experience with RPTV's and if this isn't normal then I don't want to get stuck with a lemmon.

2. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

its normal-
    do a search for "hot spotting"
    all RPTV's suffer from this to one extent or another. some are worse, some are better.
    ------------------
    zaphod
    end of transmission...

3. Matthew Harwell

Matthew Harwell Auditioning

I did a search and nothing but your reply came up.

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Matthew,
    My SD-533 does the same thing and so do all the other RPTVs I have seen, it is normal.
    ------------------
    Dan

5. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

RPTV's simply do not generate enough luminance to be able to extend the lighting all the way to the screen edge. Some are able to come close, but all suffer from dimmer edges. There is technology out there that eliminates this, called DLP (Digital Light Projection) or DMD (Digital Micromirror Device) but each is much costlier than what is in a typical RPTV.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

6. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Matthew - I believe it also comes from reflections inside the cabinet. I've heard the covering the inside of the cabinet in non-reflective material can make for a more even brightness, but I haven't had the courage to open mine (Elite 510HD) up.