What's new

please help! (1 Viewer)

Chris Q

Agent
Real Name
Christopher
Hey guys

I am having a hard time deciding which reciever to get,my choices are ,yamaha 2400
harman kardon 630 "new model"
pioneer elite 53tx
I like all three recievers'and i have heard that pioneer eite recievers have had dependability issues
can anyone clear this up for me,maybe a owener?

I would appreciate any comments.

Chris

John S

Senior HTF Member
Of those, I like the H/K the best. I seem to like the personality of their power amps.

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
I'de go with the Pioneer.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Tim K

Second Unit
check out hometheaterspot.com they have a pioneer owners forum there. I don't recall seeing any issues with Pioneer receivers being discussed. Problems with their new elite projection sets YES, but not receivers.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Chris, I think you're going about this all wrong. Basing your decision on some sort of group concensus is a pretty good way to get what the group likes but not what you need. After all, if you go to another forum, you might find that there's a very vocal group of Denon, or H/K or Onkyo users. So were they right or the group over here at HTF?

You need to develop a table where you can compare features and specifications from the models you've chosen. You also need to prioritize and define what it is that you want this receiver to do. For example, how many inputs do you need, is a phono input beneficial, what about the various modes and formats the receiver supports, is equalization of your speakers beneficial, can the receiver provide power into the type of speakers you have (impedance, efficiency and all that), what about video switching capability (if you're running hi-rez you might want a receiver with a higher bandwidth here), what about the remote...like it?, etc.

All products have problems and the more of a particular brand that's sold, the more you hear about them. Manufacturers certainly aren't going to give you % defective. You should consider how you'll obtain service if you need it. Is it local and if not are you prepared for s/h? If you're buying locally, would the dealer give you a loaner?

Try and find some in-depth reviews that also incorporate measurements to give you a feel for what you're getting.

I think you need to do some of your own homework here and better define what it is that you want and desire. If you're not sure of what things are, you might consider the HTF primer for some background information. As far as which one I think is best, well that's the one that you think is best.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Fantastic advice Chu!

I too was lamenting over a receiver choice and tried to get comfort from the group that my choice was the right one. All that managed to achieve was make me doubt any and all choices :frowning:

In the end, I did just as you suggested, compared all my choices to my real world needs and budget and made a choice that I am happy with. Each reciever had it's plusses and minuses and I probably would have been happy with any of them. However, one reciever did appeal to me more and I'm 100% happy with it! :D

JB

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
well the one advice I have, is if you've got a g/f and you're down to two choices, ask her to pick between the two and then pick the other. Odds are the receiver will last longer than the g/f.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks