Please Help Yamaha or Kenwood??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ArthurM, Nov 17, 2002.

1. ArthurM

ArthurM Auditioning

I have JBL S38II's for front left and right cost ($270. pair) next JBL "S" center cost ($149.00) Rear's I have no clue at this point.

I would like to buy a nice receiver to go along with. My choices are Yamaha HTR5590 or Kenwood 6070. My last post someone said that the JBL's Studio Series are Bright speakers ok. Also that Yamaha is a Bright receiver ok. Would a Sub Like a SVS even this out??? Or do I settle for a non-bright receiver like a Kenwood 6070??? Yes I am an employee at a Electronic Store. So I can't afford over 500.00 for a Receiver.

Last does bright me that JBL's quality is less than standard? At what point does someone say this is my line.
    Sure I could spend alot more, but I don't think my ears will change.

Thanks for the response.... Art.

2. JimwMarshall

JimwMarshall Auditioning

I would go for the Yamaha as they are definitely a step up from Kenwood.

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Arthur:

Between the two, take the Yamaha. Do you have any other choices?

--AM

4. Bill Street

Bill Street Stunt Coordinator

Hi!

I think JBL's build quality is fine. There are many good reviews of these speakers that are often offered on this forum.

Of the two receivers you mentioned Yamaha is the better choice. You might want to consider getting a Harman/Kardon receiver to go with your JBL's, however, as they are owned by the same company, Harman International. Their receivers are rated less watts per channel, especially in the lower price ranges, but they rate their watts conservatively, and can outperform many "100 WPC" receivers from other companies.

Bill S.