What's new

Please help with very basic adjustments for my new Hitachi 57F520 (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hi guys,

just got my new Hitachi 57F520 as a replacement for the Tosh 57HX84.

First off the set is not as ugly in my living room as I thought it would be. Not as nice as the Black Toshiba but acceptable.

Well I would really like is some help/advice on the picture settings.

now, yes I will have it ISFed as soon as it hits 100 hours and I will use my DVE to calibrate in the meantime. I also know there are some "tweak" threads on how to do everything from fix red push to remove protective screen and do a manual focus.

However I am just looking for the most basic of recommendations.

See I have heard the Hitachi's CRTs are among the best. Well at least as good or better than the Toshibas. However I am having a hard time adjusting to the picture. Obviously the settings are different. But I liked that Toshiba had "modes". Like Sports mode, standard mode and Movie mode. Now don't get me wrong all but Movie mode were unwatchable (to me) but it was a nice feature.

I like watching on the Toshiba's Movie Mode. Don't ask me why but I liked it. I know it was not optimal, black were a little washed out, sharpness high etc. But I had my DVE settings saved on "user settings" and used them both depending on content.

Can anyone tell me how to put my setting as close as possible to The Toshiba Movie mode?

So far I have set all enhancements to off like:
noise reduction: off
Black enhancement: off
Edge Enhancement (SVM): off
and something else I think.

Should I have any of them on?

also reduced Contrast and brightness to about 50%.

It's the color I am having a hard time with. the choices are High, Medium, Standard and black and white.

black and white is definately too red.

I am stuck between High and Medium. according to description medium should be the one to make it more "natural" but somehow High looks more appealing. Now my "logical/analitical" side realises the High looks too blue. But yet somehow the Medium looks too red/yellow. or well, orange.

What do you guys have these at?

Any one ever have both and know how I can match them?

Now before I use DVE, what are the best settings to have these at? what is the best temperature to set it at before calibrating?

thanks in advance for the input.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi
try med to std for a color temp. These may not even be near an "appropriate" temp.
Many times, i can almost turn the contrast setting to 0, though YMMV greatly. 50 sounds like a good starting point. Then adjust the brightness control so blacks look black.
Hope this helped

Gregg

Kirk Patrick

Stunt Coordinator
for dvd:

contrast: 38
brightness: 43
sharpness: 20
blackness: off
edge enhancement: off
color: standard
noise reduction: off

for tv:

contrast: 50
brightness: 50

my theory regarding dvd's is to train your eye to see the movie with the least amount of tweaking via edge, sharpness and black enhancement as possible

as far as contrast, for me, 38 was the lowest i could go and still enjoy the film

using dve i consistently came up with 43 as perfect brightness

good luck!

Rolando

Screenwriter
thanks a lot guys.

Yeah the TV has a Day and night setting and first thing I did was lower brightness and contrast to 50 on both. currently have contrast at 55 for the "day" setting.

color temp is medium for both right now.

I agree with you Gregg that none really seems just right but I know only a good calibration will give me the right temp and settings.

Medium seems the most neutral I guess. things look a bit yellowish to me or orange but I think my eye just got accustomed to the bluish hue of the Toshiba.

Ah well!

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
To adjust the color temperature presets in the user menu:

pause on an image, turn down the color to zero, then select which ever preset that makes the image look black and white.

It is kind of a crap shoot but one of them should be somewhat close.

Regards

Gregg

Rolando

Screenwriter
thanks again Gregg, I will try that when I get home tonight.

I actually tried something similar by only connecting the green wire from the 3 component inputs. was a definately NOT the High or black and white setting.

it was between Medium and standard but more towards Medium.

A few have sugested different settings for TV and DVD watching. should the settings not be the same regardless of source? I mean unless we need to compensate for a bad signal like a DVD player that does not do BTB or a set top box with a bit of a red push. right?

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
the Green only cable suggestion is fine (actually better).

yes, TV and DVD, may have different settings. Remembering that TV (HD or NTSC) can be variable channel by channel, and program by program.

Regards

Gregg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks