What's new

Please help with TV decision (1 Viewer)

RichardJB

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the new Mits 1080p WD-Y57 last week and the standard definition
picture is worse than my 7 year old 32" Proscan. Its a great TV for HD but
I cant take watching reg Digital cable. Way too blury, faint and not sharp at all. I am going to return it to CC and get another TV, most likely the
SAM HL-S6187w. My question is, Does any one know of a TV that you can actually watch a standard def channel? I am looking for at least 60" but I will settle for 55". Thank you for your responces.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
When you take a SD signal that looks OK on a 27-32" screen and then blow it up to 50-60" you're just seeing how poor the signal is.....GIGO Some progressive scan TV's have better scalers than others and process SD channels pretty well. When I went shopping for my PDP a couple of years ago I took along a VHS tape and had then play that to the different brand displays I was considering. The display I chose handled the lowly VHS tape pretty well and has a good (channels below 80) to really good (channels around 100 and up) PQ.

Mort

RichardJB

Stunt Coordinator
I understand that but it is supposed to be "digital"cable. There should be a TV out there that gives a good(not great) signal. I just cant seem to get by the fact that these new TV's show such a terrible SD picture. All HD programming is coming in a few years?, But I dont want to have to suffer and go blind from $3k tv until that happens. I am not asking for an HD like signal, just something that you can actually watch without noticing how bad the picture is. My cable co only broadcasts like 10 channels in HD. Help

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
"Digital" doesn't necessarily mean better.

I recently bought my first RPTV (Samsung HL-S4666W). Our local cable system was sometimes only tolerable on my previous TV (Sony 32" CRT). I knew it would be really bad on a big screen so I got DirecTV installed. Even though the satellite signal is consistently good the pictures on the SD channels are sometimes hit or miss. Like the previous poster said: garbage in, garbage out.

I'm happy with my Samsung so far. It does a great job with HD from DirecTV and with SD-DVD from my upscaling DVD player. I understand your frustration with SD broadcasts. But it's not necessarily the fault of your TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks