Please help with Tosh. X81

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Z, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Greg Z

Greg Z Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

I have had my TW40x81 now for almost 2 years. My problem seems to be the quality of the brightness of the set. OK, not the "brightness" but... well...let me explain. When my set was new my contrast and brightness settings were in the low to mid 30's. The picture was bright and a site to behold. As time went on I needed to adjust the contrast and brightness higher and higher to compensate for a darker and darker image. Dark scenes lost shadow detail to the point where, say, a scene in a darkend room with a brightly lit window made the window light overpower the rest of the room. At this point, my setting are hight 40's to low 50's for contrast and in the 70's for brightness! I know these sound high, but setting them any lower makes the picture unwatchable. I have tryed to calibrate and "adjust to the darker picture" but it just doesn't work. I am also concerned that at the rate I am going the life expectancy of my set is shrinking. Is this normal? I have used avia to calibrate the set but it just looks way too dark, and even in a totally dark room. I am all ears, Please shed some light (no pun intended) on my situation...

2. Greg Z

Greg Z Stunt Coordinator

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

What do you want to hear? That Light output decreases over time ...

The CRT lightout drops the most during the first year ... then it tends to stabilize for many years until it nears its death ...

Some say that light output may drop by 50% in the initial year ...

Where your set fits in the grand scheme of things is not clear. My 61" 4:3 Toshiba from 1998/99 has had a distinct light output drop off ... half of where it originally was ...

Regards

4. Greg Z

Greg Z Stunt Coordinator

Hello Michael,
    I guess I just want to know if what I am experiencing is normal and my settings are in line with other users. I've read threads where people have contrast and brightness setting in the 20's and 30's and think, shit, mine are too high! If you think what I described is normal, fine. I'll sleep better at night. [​IMG] Thanks again for the help.[​IMG]