What's new

Please help with THX and speaker levels (1 Viewer)

John E F

Stunt Coordinator
I have a THX Surround EX receiver and a center rear surround speaker set up. The only way to use EX is with the THX setting engaged. Now assume for a minute that I actually like the THX processing but notice the speaker levels are different than with just Dolby Digital, DTS, and DTS-ES. Should I set my speaker levels (with an SPL meter ofcourse) with the THX setting on and just leave it on with all the formats? Or are the different speaker levels actually an intended effect of the THX processing and I should calibrate with it off?

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
John, THX is a certification and gives equipment a "badge." It is not an audio format. I dont know what the THX "enabler" on your AVR does, however. For a THX explainer, pls see the HTF FAQ and Primer in our Basics board.

bill

Edit: stand corrected by Justin:b

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Bill, you are wrong about THX only being certification for equipment. All THX receivers also contain post processing which can be of a benefit in the home environment.

From THX's web site:

Feature: Owing to current economies of DSP design, all THX Ultra products feature: Re-Equalization™, Timbre Matching™, Adaptive Decorrelation™, Bass Management™, Bass Peak Level Manager™, and Loudspeaker Position Time Synchronization™
The most important feature is re-equalization as far as making a difference in sound presentation.

John,

Since you will probably be watching a majority of your material in non EX/ES modes I would calibrate for normal DD/DTS listening and then make note of the differences between THX and non-THX. In all actuality, unless you are calibrating for refernce level, as long as your speakers are level matched you should be alright.

J

John E F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Justin. I will probably set the levels for normal DD/DTS use. I did a little tweaking today and found that the levels, while different, aren't really different enough to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks