please help with theater.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Derek S, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Derek S

Derek S Stunt Coordinator

I was looking for some advise on how to set up a theater. my wife and i are having a house built, and will be using the family room for a theater....not really a dedicated one but pretty close. the dimensions are about 22' x 15' there is a sliding door(on side wall) about 15' to 16' from the front (tv wall) I was wondering where would be the best place to put the surrounds. Also, what would be a good size tv to put in that room, I know that the bigger the set the further away you sit. with the sliding door in mind, and surround speaker placement an issue, what would be a good size. There is about 2 feet behind the slidng door to the back of the wall, i could mount the side speakers there, or in front of the sliding door, any ideas?

thanks for anyhelp.

Peace

Banky

2. Derek S

anybody?

3. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

4. Derek S

thanks a bunch Roger.

I will look it over.

Peace

5. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

If you can put vertical blinds over the sliding door to control light, your room would be beautiful for FPTV. Do you have pre-existing equipment you are going to bring in, or are you buying everything from scratch?

6. Derek S

blinds will be a for sure thing, being the room is on the ground level and wife won't walk around nekkid she doesn't want some guy peeping in...go figure :b

I will be getting new stuff after the move. I am thinking

marantz SR9200

paradigm 11's

Paradigm cc370

paradigm apd370

paradigm pw2200

as far as video, still debating. for some reason the wife thinks that a projector is a huge investment, as were a big screen is just a tv. she watches a lot of tv, so i was leaning towards the poineer pro 64" or maybe that monster 73" set they have.

i am not sure about the adp's, cause the placement issue. i am heading to a high end stereo shop in town and see if they can offer any help. (maybe direct raditating speakers would better suit my room) i need to do this soon as the house is buing built, and i need to get speaker wire in the walls before too long.

7. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Derek- Pricewise the two sets you mentioned and a LCD/DLP PJ setup are about the same; the effect is very different. The projector will look like a movie theater, while even a 73" TV will look like a TV. Of course there are reasons to choose the TV over the projector, but given the TVs you are looking at, price shouldn't be one of them.
    And I wouldn't go to the local A/V store to ask about projectors; try reading around on this forum and over at avsforum.com to get a better feel for types, models, setups, etc. Most local stores have few models and vastly inflated prices.
    You may also want to start talking about paint colors with your wife; it may take a while to convince her if you want to paint the whole room black, grey, or some other dark color.

8. Derek S

I have "discussed" paint color with her. she has given me the ok to paint the room a darker color. probably not black, but maybe a darker grey.

thanks for the help.

i will post pics when i get some taken...

banky41