What's new

Please Help with suggestions on theater layout (1 Viewer)

JesseSt

Agent
Hi All,

I am new to HT and am replacing my JVC 48" RPTV with an Infocus X1 but I have a bit of a dilemna.

My basement room for the HT is 280" long by 140" wide which would be well and fine except that I have a 3' wide duct running width wise through the room. The duct hangs down about 14" from the ceiling.

My first thought was that I would mount the X1 in front of the duct so that you wouldn't even see it when you were seated in viewing position which is behind the duct. However, if mounted in that position, I would only have about 89" from lens to the wall where the image would be projected. This would only render about a 59" max diagonal screen.

Considering I've got a 140" wide wall, I had hoped to go a bit larger.

Option two is to ceiling mount the X1 back from the duct a couple of feet, which would make it visible to viewers in seated area but I could live with that. However, with the duct hanging down about 14", would it be in the way of the top of the projected image?

Potential option three would be to floor mount the projector in the open space of my coffee table.

Anyone have any insight/suggestions? Please let me know if I haven't explained it clearly enough...I could get pictures as well. Plan on doing some experimenting once I get the projector but would like to have somewhat of a plan in place before it arrives. Many thanks in advance.

-Jesse

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
What is your ceiling height? I would think you could go behind the duct work and lower the projector as needed with either a bar-type mounting bracket or build a hanging platform.

(I'm hoping you get lots of good suggestions. My room has similar dimensions, 20+ft x 13 ft x 7 ft, and with my low ceiling I'll probably be looking at similar issues.)

JesseSt

Agent
Hey Jack,

Room height is approx. 7'2" I believe I will end up going the route you mention. For the time being I have placed the projector under my coffee table. I should be able to have about an 80"+ screen if I put the projector right behind the ducting. Thanks for the response and good luck with your theater.

-Jesse

Because of my height restrictions, ceiling after drop ceiling installed is 6'1 at raised rear seat platform and 6'9 in front. I had to cancel using an overhead projector, and went with a 65 inch RPTV. I built tv into the wall and placed it 10 inchs up on a platform hidden behind the wall, so I still get that theater screen look, and the rear seats don't have to look down at a floor seated tv. Check out my step by step pics. What ever you decide to go with, I'm sure it will look great, good luck, and post pictures when it's done.
Randy
My Theater

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks