What's new

Please Help with Subwoofer Hookup....It's Driving ME NUTS!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I just bought an older Boston Acoustics VR-500 sub...it didn't come with a manual. It is a powered sub. On the back it has the speaker wire hookup which I would rather avoid using. It also has FOUR RCA inputs/Outputs that says 'Line Level' over the section where they are. There is 1 set of red and whites that says 'in' and one set of red and white that says 'out'. I imagine that is what I need....but no matter what I do it just doesn't seem to work and hardly any sound comes out. I am using an older Yamaha 5.1 receiver (RX-V800) that DOES have a subwoofer out. I used this receiver with another sub and connected it just fine with my other new subwoofer and it worked great. FYI....The other controls on the sub is a phase control, crossover control and volume control. Please help....I know the sub works.....it's just me and it's driving me nuts!!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
How was the previous sub hooked up to the RX-V800?

I'm sure you tried at least some of these things already but they're all I can think of.

1) Use a subwoofer cable (or any yellow video cable or coaxial digital cable, all three are the required 75 ohm but you shouldn't use a regular rca type red/white cable) between the "sub out" of the receiver and either L or R Line Level inputon the sub.

2) Make sure the subwoofer is set to "On" in the receivers setup menu.

3) Set all speakers to "Small" in the receivers speaker setup menu.

4) Make sure the subwoofer volume on the sub and the receiver's setup menu are somewhere in the middle.

5) Set the Phase to "0".

6) Set the cross-over to it's highest reading...usually around 150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks