What's new

Please help with speaker situation... (1 Viewer)

Wayne Leon

Auditioning
I started buying stereo equipment several years ago, but after getting married back in '96 I have been away from it. I am looking to upgrade a few things and need help with my speaker situation.
First, I must state that I am not up-to-date on much and that I don't have a desire to have a top of the line system, just a nice, small home theater.
Before getting married I lived in a small apartment and aquired the following equipment: Denon AVR 900 receiver, an Onkyo CD player, Polk CS100 center channel, Polk Monitor Series 2 bookshelf speakers, and I had previously owned Boston A40 bookshelf speakers. I am going to buy a DVD player, which has gotten me moving.
My question is...are any of my speakers really worth keeping? I have been thinking of purchasing a Polk satellite system and selling the speakers above. However, I was wandering if my current speakers (all are in excellent shape) would work better, after the purchase of a subwoofer, than a satellite system? I was thinking that I could use the Polks on stands for the front and the Bostons in the rear. I would appreciate any advice that can be given.
Thank you for your time and looking forward to any advice.
Wayne

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i feel that both polk and boston are good brands and if they sound good to you, then you should keep them. especially since it sounds like you're just looking for a decent-sounding ht...
the only thing that comes to mind is timbre-matching. if the speakers sound radically "different" then you may notice the sound change in an unnatural way when the sound pans from the front to the rear.
getting a satellite system would definitely be an upgrade though...
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Upgrading speakers will definitely be where you would hear the most difference. If your receiver is not Dolby Digital 5.1, I would suggest this be the best place to start upgrading.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks