What's new

Please Help with speaker placement in a difficult room! (1 Viewer)

JasonG

Agent
Hi all

I am going to be rearranging my living room. I would really like some help with the placement of my speakers. I am including a link at the bottom of this message with a diagram of the layout. If you could also suggest where to put the furniture I would love to hear your ideas.

I have:
(1) 3 seat couch
(1) 2 seat love-seat
(1) 32" Sony Wega (FS100) with stand
(1) Yamaha Receiver,5,Satellites and a Sub

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to get this set up right because the way it was was not optimal.

http://www.pbase.com/image/19534524 (you may have to cut and paste this address into your browser!)

Thanks

JasonG:emoji_thumbsup: ;) :emoji_thumbsup:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Jason,

It’s really difficult to tell anything from this picture. The room looks something like 25 ft. by 10ft.? Is that a window where it says “rear of room,” or what? What are all the squares at the front of the room, entry to another room or something?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JasonG

Agent
I have changed the pic so hopefully everything makes more sense. If it dosen't let me know and I will make some more changes. Thanks for replying! I really need help with this one!

Here is the new link!

http://www.pbase.com/image/19557079

Thanks again for all your help!

Jasong

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Jason,

I think I’d set up at the breakfast room end, because there’s more space to work with. You’ll have to figure out if it’s best to face the seating towards the window or towards the wall on the left (i.e., with the breakfast area behind the seating), depending on how the furniture fits better and the best options for getting the wiring to the rear speakers.

A few considerations:
  • Avoid at all costs a “TV-in-the-corner” set up. Never works well for speaker placement.
  • You’ll never get optimal viewing from all seats, so don’t bother. Plan on one seat (the 3-seat sofa, for instance) being the main viewing seat. Situate the other one where it fits best with the decor.
  • If you go with the system in front of the window, you’ll be tempted to put the sofa ‘way back, to “fill the room,” as it were. Don’t. A 32” TV is pretty small by home theater standards, but you can make the most of it by keeping the seating as close as possible. Ten ft. from the screen is about as far as you want to go.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks