What's new

Please help with precious art book collection! (1 Viewer)

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
I just recently got back from California visiting family and my cousin asked for my help with protecting his art books. He was concerned with the fact that from the position the bookshelf (with windows in the doors) is facing, no matter where you put it in the room, sunlight hits it at some point during the day. Will this over time start to turn the pages an ugly yellow cover or anything, because they're pretty expensive and irreplacable art books, something a person like me can't appreciate :p) I've tried looking to see if there might be some sort of film he could use to coat the glass to protect them from any light-based damage, but to no avail. Anybody have some ideas?

John Watson

Screenwriter
Sunlight will certainly fade the spines over time; don't think it should affect the inside of the book.

I assume the film is for the house windows, or is it a bookcase with glass doors.

If someone doesn't know of a film that will do the trick, I'd invest in a small curtain rod, with some artistic fabric, and put a curtain on the bookcase.

Awkward to get at the books perhaps, but will look good in the room, and preserve the books.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Yes, you can buy film that'll block UV. It's the same type stuff you put on your car.

Also, I've seen those pull-down tinted window shades. The same thing, only in spring-roller-shade form. :)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Sunlight won't hurt the interior pages (unless he's got some strange system where they're exposed to sunlight, in which case it will indeed yellow them). The white covers on art books by Abrams, etc. are notorious for yellowing and sunlight will greatly hasten this process. Cover them with something. Even a blanket will do in a pinch.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
...or perhaps a bookshelf that has a door on the front. Something that will keep the UV off the books.

Jay

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
pretty expensive and irreplacable art books
Put them in a safe storage location instead of exposed to the sun where they will be damaged???

Close the drapes or blinds during the day?

The important thing, I believe, is to block the UV rays. But some inks will also fade when exposed to ozone. If they're in a smoggy area (e.g. CA), you may need more aggressive protection methods (if these books are very valuable).

It might be worthwhile to contact a preservationist. A local university library or museum might have experts who could provide solid information.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Thanks everyone for the help. It was kinda weird how I explained it, I'll admit. His bookcases have doors with small windows on them. And because of the weird design of his house with window and skylight positioning it's quite hard to protect them, but I'll refer him to these helpful pieces of advice immediately.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
If they were really that valuable, your cousing probably doesn't want people looking through them too often. So, displaying then isn't necessary.

I'd Vacuum seal them in some space bags or something. This will prevent moisture, or any other pollutants from destroying them...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks