Please help with possible system purchase - $2k budget

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Oxycontin, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Oxycontin

Oxycontin Auditioning

Hi all, brand new here. I’ll make this short and sweet. I am currently in the process of finishing an unfinished bonus room, that came in my new house. It will serve as my home theater room. I already have the TV covered, but it’s time to upgrade my entire sound system. I am looking to spend less than $2000.

I have mainly been looking at crutchfield.com to order from, basically because I am ignorant and don’t know a better place to order from. Please recommend changes I should make.

Infinity Primus 360 Pair Floor Standing Speakers - $399.98

Infinity Primus C25 Center Channel Speaker - $129.99

Infinity PS12 12" 300-watt Powered Subwoofer - $349.99

Infinity Primus 160 Pair Bookshelf/Stand Mount Loudspeaker - $179.98

Harmon Kardon AVR-240 - $339.99

Plus cables, a surge protector, and some rear speaker stands. I’m at about $1,800.

Please feel free to tear up these selections, I’d rather know now than after I buy them that they are crap.

Thanks.

2. frogpond

frogpond Stunt Coordinator

SVS PB-12 subwoofer 599
    Ascend Acoustics CMT 340SSE Mains 568 pair
    " " CMT Center 298
    " " CBM 170SE 348 pair
    Denon 2106 460 shipped new on Ebay
    Total is 2273 ok so its a little over so you can try this...

SVS PB12 sub 599
    Axiom Audio M50 740 pair
    " " VP150 center 400 or VP100 for 250
    " " QS8 530 or QS4 for 420
    Axiom offers a 5% discount for five or more items ordered PLUS they have package deals including sub starting at 1300 as does SVS and Ascend.

3. frogpond

SVS also has all in one pkgs but at the moment its with bookshelf speakers (mid tower and tower coming early 2007). I love the SVS SBS-01 package but thats me and why I recommended some of the others. The SVS package can be had with a variety of subs with packages starting at 1000 and going up depending on sub. As far as reveiws for the SVS SBS-01 they are generally very good to excellent for HT with the only negatives being that it doesn't handle music as well. I don't agree as I have thrown Dead Can Dance(airy acoustic worldly music), Evenesnce, Mozart, a variety of jazz, metal, rock, and a plethora of others from my collection at it and the SBS performed superbly.

4. Oxycontin

Oxycontin Auditioning

TYVM frogpond. I will defenitly look at your suggestions. Can you give me some more info on the Denon AVR 2106? I am looking at it online at places, and it seems good, but why would I choose it over other receivers? Has it just received really good reviews?

5. frogpond

Not neccessarily better than other a/v receivers but Denon is ranked up there on all thier product lines. For example I would rank Denon, Marantz and Harmon Kardon ahead of Onkyo and Yamaha. Why? Denon and especcially Marantz deal almost exclusivly with audio while a company like Yamaha is branched out into many, many ventures. Not bad but but a Yammy would be third on my list. I do know that the HK is lower wattage per channel than the Denon. The easiest thing to do is do a side by side comparison of stats and see what you need the most and not need the most.

6. frogpond

Of course lower wattage isn't the be all end all. Your going to get good and not so good reviews no matter what the product is. Reviews on HK, Denon, Marantz and Yammy are generally very good. I will either move up from the Denon 2106 or go with Marantz when it comes time to upgrade.

7. Oxycontin

Oxycontin Auditioning

OK Thanks !

Well, after some more research, I found that I need a receiver capable of doing HDMI switching. I was looking at this Onkyo TX-SR604, because its got decent power, plus the HDMI switching.

I don't know if I will be able to find a Denon/Marantz/H-K receiver with HDMI in a $500 price range.

8. frogpond

If your careful about shopping online/eBay you can find a good Denon/Marantz/HK. The Denon 2106 (460 shipped eBay) does not have HDMI switching but I'm going to monoprice.com and getting one of thier HDMI switchers which are dirt cheap and everyone that has one says it workd fine. Monoprice is also good for other cabling as well. The 2106 has been replaced by the 2307 which does have switching. While Onkyo is decent for the price I think you'll find many on the forums who prefer the sound and features of the other brands mentioned. Another place to look for prices is www.bhphotovideo.com I get alot of my pro gear there along with some HT stuff. They have the Onkyo for 50 cheaper than Vanns.