1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Please help with poor video quality....!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Vader, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Hi all,

I am seeing what appears to be digital artifacting, and am concerned that I may have something set wrong. The artifacting usually occurs in clouds or wisps of smoke (I understand that MPEG2 has a hard time with this kind of thing, but this seems to be excessive). I am viewing on a Mitsu 65511 RPTV, calibrated (as good as I can) via DVE (Contrast is at approx 25%, brightness at 52%, color at 40%). My video source is a Denon DVD-1600P, connected via component (Liberty Interflex Z300). I know that these cables are not the best, and will be upgraded when budget allows. I had heard that these cables cannot carry the bandwidth required for component (much less progressive scan), and that could be the cause of the noise I am seeing. Also when budget allows, I hope to have an ISF calibration done by Gregg. In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanx!

Derek

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

What disc were you using that exhibits these artifacts? Do you still see these artifacts on well-regarded discs like The Fifth Element (the scene where the cab falls down into the big cloud below the city).

3. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Hi Max,

The worst offenders are Aliens (both Legacy and Quadrilogy), Iron Eagle, Dungeons & Dragons (I know, I Know...), among others. Iron Eagle is an older title, so I chalk it up to that, but both Aliens and D&D have gotten fantastic reviews (less so Aliens) for video quality. Hulk is another title, but the artifacts are much less there (mainly just in the clouds during the fighter jet attack sequence)...

Derek

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hmmm. Pretty hard to tell. I haven't watched those yet on my projector.

At 65 inches and up, you see a lot of flaws. [​IMG]

Master and Commander has a lot of fog in the opening scenes, as does Pirates of the Caribbean. Any chance you can view those DVDs of yours on a PC or another television set?

5. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Max,

I tried several trouble titles on my wife's 53" 4:3 Sony, and found that the only one I could still see the noise was Aliens, and then I had to look closely (I guess the downconversion from anamorphic hides a multitude of sins). I run Pirates of the Caribbean a lot on the 65" (I love that film), and it looks fine. Now that I know what to look for, the problem is even more glaring, but I am seeing it to varying degrees between titles. Can I safely conclude that if it were something in my calibration or hardware, it would affect all titles equally (or at least as equal as the amount of fog/clouds/smoke) in them?

Derek

6. John S

John S Producer

I'd suggest ordering one of the new Zenith DVB-318 players for $160. And giving 1080i upscale'n with analog Component Video a try with it. I was amazed at how it cleared up almost all NTSC artifacting.

7. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

The Denon DVD-1600 is a good Faroudja based unit. It doesn't seem likely that it is the DVD player at fault here.

8. John S

John S Producer

I tend to agree DaveGTP, just seemed the easiest to suggest is all.... With some new cables, it at least would eliminate a ton of things to work back from if it did clear the issue up at all.

So what do you think he should try to figure out the issue?

9. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

If the picture gets big enough, some of the flaws in MPEG2 start coming out. I've noticed blurriness of trees far in the background, clouds, people a long ways away, etc - small objects in the background. Especially if the scene is moving. It generally looks like MPEG artifacting. Seen it a lot on TV boxsets.
    Never a REALLY good disc (like FOTR:EE or Matrix Revolutions), but on a lot of "normal" discs. I can't advise on the titles you mentioned because I don't have them.

I'm running an Infocus X1 projeector at about 80" and a Zenith DVB318.

You could try swapping out cables, but I don't have a lot of faith in high-priced cables. Real evidence that better cables actually helps is neglible. I don't want to start the cable argument, though.

But if you doubt them, they could be faulty cables. Try running out and picking up a $20 set of component cables at your local B&M. You can return them if it doesn't help.

EDIT: I did a google search on your model of cables. The only reference I could find for them was that they were COMPOSITE cables, rather than component cables. Maybe it would be a good idea to pick up some different, actual component cables.

10. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Thanx, all!

I talked with a A/V tech at SoundTrack who used to work for Liberty, and he suggested the same thing. I was looking at some Monster cables, but they are a little out of budget at the moment. Could you suggest some component cables that will not break the bank (I am one of those people that when I become aware of the source of the problem, I cnnot sleep until I have it fixed... I know, I need to get a life)?

Peace... Derek

11. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Honestly, you could just go pick up a set of Acoustic Research cables from Best Buy. I'm using $15 GE cables from EvilMart (errr...I mean, Walmart). When you need a lot of cables like me, the prices add up! Like I said, I'm not a believer in Fancy cables.

12. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I agree with Dave. Acoustic Research makes a good component cable which can be purchased for a good price from www.accessories4less.com.

You may also need to have your Mits calibrated. I looked at a Mits Diamond and I find them to have a "digital" look to them that in my opinion tends to make artificating more noticeable. A calibration might possibly help the most.

You aren't going to notice much, if any, real difference with the Zenith player. It's a good player, but your Denon 1600 is just as good, and in my opinion more accurate. The issue isn't your dvd player.

13. John S

John S Producer

My thinking was, if he is using his Component Video now at 1080i for his HD sources and they look great. The Zenith player should solve the issue. Weather the Denon was the culprit or not.

14. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

A great affordable way to make AWESOME video cables is to get pre-terminated 75-ohm rated RG-6 coax from radio-shack...and then get some of their (affordable) RF-RCA adaptors and screw them on each end. Whala...you've got the performance of a $$ video cable for vastly less money.

15. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Thanks for all the advice!

I ended up getting a set of Belden component cables from bluejeanscable, and the improvement in overall PQ is amazing. Although it did not completely solve my noise problem, I think that Greg_T's suggestion that it may lie in my calibration is right on. Now I just need to figure out how to adjust my budget to get Gregg out here...

Thanx again!