What's new

Please help with n24's and sony sub. (1 Viewer)

Dennis Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still not impressed with my new setup. The only thing I can think of is my n24's are just too small for the room. The couch is 24 feet from the n24's. Could that be the problem?
They are very clear and detailed but I don't feel like I am getting a good "transition" from the sub to the n24's. ie. no midrange or midbass. Aren't the n24's suppose to match well w/sawm40 sony sub?
Sorry but I am really losing confidence in my decision. Would the n26's (or something else) give me what I am looking for?
Thanks.
Dennis

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
Dennis
check your LFE x-over on the receiver and the sub also are your main speakers set to "small". it seems the preferred method is to use a x-over point of about 100-120hz on the rec. and run the sub x-over wide open. on the other hand 24ft. might be excessive for these speakers, but i doubt it. how much is behind the listening position?

Dennis Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the tips.the mains are set to small. As far as the x-over on the reciver, I called onkyo friday and was told it was a "fixed" 80 hz I believe. BTW it's a 575x.
THe couch is about two inches off the back wall. I don't think I can move it too much furhter towards the tv.
ans I just used the sound and vision dvd. Not sure if I did this right but I set the radio shack spl to 70 on the dial. I made sure the needle hit the "0" mark on each speaker test as best as I could. This means my fronts are turned up all the way on the receiver. I think "12" is as high as they go. My center is set to "10" and teh rears were either "10" or "11". For some strange reason my righ speaker just barely reaches the "0" whereas my left hits "0" just fine. They are not out of phase and equally distanced.
Any more help. i'm really frustrated.
Dennis

Gary PT

Agent
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but going by specs and a familiarity with some JBL speakers, known for their efficiency, something seems very wrong that you can only achieve 70DB volume wide open with 70 WPC. Have you checked all wiring, Is your source (CD, DVD, whatever) properly hooked up to the proper inputs? Is there a gain control(volume) somewhere, like a TV or cable box volume control, that's not turned up? I would think that you should be driving those speakers to distortion with the receiver gain turned wide open. It would appear there's a hardware problem or a wiring issue somewhere along the line. The 80 hz crossover point should be fine.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Dennis - if you want to correctly set the Dolby Digital 5.1 REFERENCE Calibration using Sound&Vision, the output should = 85 dB.
The following SPL output is recommeded by the MFG.
Video Essentials = 75 dB
AVIA = 85 dB
Yamaha & Onkyo internal test signals = 75 dB
====
Sound&Visions is made by AVIA, and they use the same test tones.
I verified the above recommendation because my Yamaha Volume Control REF Mark #16, is IDENTICAL using 85 dB w/AVIA & Sound&Vision vs. Video Essentials @ 75 dB SPL.
I thought the mid transition was excellent between the N24 & my sub (Audiosource SW15 & SVS 25-31PCi) in my 20' x 30' HT/family room (my Yamaha fixed x-over = 90 Hz).
Keep in mind that the N24 benchmarked 89 Hz to 18.9 kHz ±2.7 dB and some people are not use to a speaker this flat. As it breaks in, listen to the even distribution of SPL thru-out the musical range of your music, you'll start appreciating the imaging, depth and dynamic capability of this overachieving speaker.
Phil

Dennis Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
my Yamaha Volume Control REF Mark #16, is IDENTICAL using 85 dB w/AVIA & Sound&Vision vs. Video Essentials @ 75 dB SPL.
Sorry Phil I don't even know what a refernce mark is???

AS far as the 85dB, my fronts will not achieve this unless I turn the volume WAY up. After all, they only achieved the 70 dB while volume was about 50 on the onkyo. That's probably louder than I'll ever listen to.

Anybody live in/near Augusta, GA wanna come over and tune this stuff? hahhahahahah
Thanks for the assistance.
dennis

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
When your speakers are set to 75 dB SPL, you can enjoy a much more faithful reproduction of motion picture program material by setting volume control to "REFERENCE". This will recreate the same field of sound as in the film recording studio.
Like I said above, most people (including me) will usually watch their DVD's about -10 dB below REFERENCE, still loud enough to dust off your bookshelfs, feel the impact of the LFE channels and still loud enough to hear the dialog during the quiet, more sedate moments during the movie.

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks