Please help with MS Equations!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mat_M, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

I haven't used Microsoft Equations (Word 2000) in quite some time, but tonight I was writing a report...

I click 'insert' -> 'object' -> 'microsoft equations 3.0'

When I begin to put stuff in the box, it becomes REALLY messed up. It seems that the spacing is all screwed up: subscripts and superscripts are placed on TOP of the character in use, left-to-right spacing is REALLY squished, I can't use any of the vector symbols because they place themselves within the character of interest. I tried setting the spacing and fonts all back to default, but this solved nothing. What the flying frick happened, and does anyone have a solution? I've tried re-installing Word, updating with the online Office Update at Microsoft.com.

Please help!!!

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I've used the equation editor extensively in Word 97 and a bit in Word 2000 and I've not seen that behavior. Does it mangle the character placement when you're editing the equation, or after you click outside the edit region and it reverts back to Word?

3. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

It mangles the equation as you're editing it, and stays that way after you click back to word. I've also tried opening old documents with equations in them just to see what happens...I'll double click an equation to edit it, and BOOM the equation gets mangled. Close the document, no save, it's fine again. New equations are the problem. This is really frustrating because I'm trying to write a thesis.

4. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I tried copying the MS equations files (C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedEquation) from my work computer to my home computer, and that didn't work either. What the heck could be going on?

5. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

I've come to the conclusion now that there's an extra file that is used in MS Equations that I am unable to find. My guess is that it's a .dll somewhere in the windows directory. If anyone has any inkling of a clue what to do, please let me know.

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Mat -- unfortunately, I've got no idea what would cause your problem. You said you reinstalled Word; did you make sure it reinstalled Eq. Editor as well? Did you first wholly uninstall Word before the reinstall?

I (perhaps foolishly) used Word for my Ph.D. thesis, and for the equations used the full version of Equation Editor. (MathEdit, I think it's called). It's far superior to the 'lite' version. I've experienced other weirdness using Word and Equation Editor and don't recommend the two for long documents (more than about thirty equations.

I suggest buying the full version. Hopefully that will fix this present problem and will reduce your frustrations with the many weakness of Equ. Editor.