What's new

Please help with HDMI and D/A converters... (1 Viewer)

Peter Gee

Auditioning
Hi All

I just ordered a new Toshiba 62HMX84 HDTV with HDMI input and I want to add a DVD player also with HDMI.

Q. Since I'm using HDMI for video, should I not be concerned that the player I'm considering (Toshiba SD5970 with HDMI Video Upconversion) only has a 10 bit 54MHz Video D/A Converter?

OR should I go for a higher priced Denon with dual 12bit 216MHz video converters?

There seems to be differing opinion on whether or not the quality of the D/A video converter will matter since the HDMI is an all digital connection.

Many Thanks,

Peter

SimiA

Second Unit
I think your 1st observation is correct.
Using the HDMI cable should yield the same PQ.
If there were a way to test these units with each configuration, that would give you the best idea.
However, I'd bet the PQ using the latter configuration, would not be that great an enhancement to justify the greater expense.
Just my 2 cents.
Vb

TimG

Second Unit
That particular model of Toshiba has gotten almost universally bad reviews. I would stay away from it if I was you.

TimG

The Denon 2910 and the Panasonic (SD97)? have been getting decent reviews, except for some minor macroblocking issues.

Peter Gee

Auditioning
Thanks Tim, I really appreciate the tip. I think I'll stick with Denon, though I'll check out the Panasonic.

Thank you Simi.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks