What's new

Please help with finding a new receiver (1 Viewer)

larry_r_m

Auditioning
I am looking to spend $500-600 on a new receiver and I have my eyes on a Denon AVR-2803, Onkyo TX-SR601 and Onkyo TX-SR701. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations? Thanks.

I have a pretty basic system right now with Infinity front left and right speakers and Aiwa center, surrounds and sub. I am also looking to upgrade in the near future and need a versatile receiver that currently would utilize an apartment-sized living room and in the future a house-sized living room.

I like that the Onkyo 701 is THX, though I don't have alot of experience. Is that a strong buy point?

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
In addition to those you mentioned, some other possibilities:

Yamaha RX-V1400
Harman Kardon AVR430
Sony STR-DA2000ES

Edit: I guess if you could go into the mid-$600s range I'd add:

Pioneer Elite VXS-53TX
Sony STR-DA3000ES
Marantz SR6400

How about a little more info about your needs/wants and existing equipment (e.g., what speakers will you be using with it?).

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I have the Integra 6.4 DTR, which is a "souped up" version of the TX-SR701. I got a really good deal because of problems with another brand of receiver and my dealer not wanting to lose a sale (it was my second choice anyway). The best analogy I can make is the Toyota Camry/Lexus ES300. Both have the same platform, underpinnings and basic mechanicals, the Lexus (Integra) has some upgraded parts, additional options and a better warranty. All this to say that I'm happy with my receiver and the Onkyo should be decent as well (if it's ound pleases you).

larry_r_m

Auditioning
Any more input on modestly priced, but decent surround and center channel speakers would also be greatly appreciated!

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I'm a big Marantz fan, check out the SR5400, there really isn't much difference between it and the SR6400, remote is slightly different and a couple extra inputs on the back. A little more power, but not much different.

Joshua H

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in a similar boat as larry, considering receivers ~$600 online. Apart from "warmth" or "brightness" what are the relative differences between the denon 2803, yam 1400, and onkyo 701?

WilliamRP

Auditioning
Real Name
WRP
I have the Yamaha 1400 and it does sound awesome, very crisp and clear. I listen to a lot of live music and the sound is spectacular at all levels. The only drawback I've encountered is the sheer number of features that I don't quite yet understand (have had the receiver since Jan.) and the remote is a little tricky to master. I looked at the Denon and the Marantz compared sound and features and decided on the Yamaha. The Yamaha also had a better warranty, for what it's worth. I also liked the fact that the yamaha was HDTV ready, the Marantz was not and I could run speakers in three zones through the Yamaha, so the kids can watch cartoons while mom and dad can listen to Maceo Parker bringning down the house on the screened porch at the same time.

larry_r_m

Auditioning
From some of my reading, I think you get alot of bang for your buck with the Marantz 5400. I read it maintains a high power output with 5 channels operating where the Onkyo 701 drops drastically. So, now I think I've narrowed my choices to Denon 2803, Yam 1400, Marantz 5400. Do you guys know anything about the Integra 5.4?

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
I like the ONkyo 601 much better than the HK325 (the 701 has preouts and thx, which means alot to me)-if this is any kind of relevant feedback.

Try axiom or sounddynamics

rogo

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
My vote would go to the HK. Great customer support and there recievers have worked great for me. Nothing but good about them from me.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
The only problem with that review at least on the Marantz side is that there is a huge difference between the SR4400 and the SR5400. The 5400 has component switching, and it has 3 selections for a crossover point, 80, 100, and 120. The SR4400 is locked in at 100. The DAC's in the 5400 are also way better, it doesn't have any of the issues the 4400 has as mentioned in that review. On a side note my father in law has an integra 5.4, it seems to be a great receiver as well, but comparing how easy they are to use, the remotes, etc, I like the Marantz better, which is why I got the 5400 a couple weeks ago.

larry_r_m

Auditioning
Here's the latest, I think I'm going with the Marantz 5400 and I've read phenomenal things about the B&W DM303's. Would the 5400 put out too much power with the B&W's as front channels? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks