What's new

Please help with DLP TV problem :( (1 Viewer)

AxlRose

Auditioning
Real Name
Axl
Ok me and my roomate recently bought this TV: http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/catalog/tree/TV_GR_US_CONSUMER/PROJECTION_TV_CA_US_CONSUMER/product/50PL9126D_37_US_CONSUMER/catalog.jsp?language=en&country=US&catalogType=CONSUMER&proxybuster=1KWRP2MR21CCVJ0RMRCSHQVHKFSESI5P.
It's a gorgeous TV. Great picture and everything. Here is the problem though. I can't even sit and watch a whole movie. 15 minutes in my eyes really start to hurt. I mean it's like terrible pain...more like they are getting really tired, and now today after watchin it for awhile last night, my eyes still feel a little weird.

So i did a few google searches and found that with single chip DLP projectors some people get eye strain. Does this just mean the projectors or the projection TVs also? Also I don't know if my TV is single or 3 chip. But anyways, am I one of the few people that can't watch DLP's or is there a certain amount of time it takes some people to get used to them.

Also I watch it with the lights on too and i think it might help a little. The thing is we have a small amount of time to return the TV if we need to so I don't want to wait a long time. Also if I continue to watch it could I get eye/vision damage?

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
If it's that painful and your "eyes still feel a little weird" the next day it doesn't sound like the set is for you. Some bias lighting might help, definitely - but you say you're already doing that.

I'd take it back. Plenty of other formats to choose from.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Please edit your post, breaking up the web site name (URL) onto several lines so the right half of the text can be seen without having pan and scan my browser.

Reading just the left part of your text I jump to the conclusion that the way DLP inherently presents the picture (flashing the red content, then the green content, then the blue content, then the red content again) does not agree with your eyes. Every person is different, another DLP with a different flash rate might agree with you but you have to experiment by going into stores and watching each model in turn for over a half hour.

As far as getting used to it, every person is different here too when it comes to how long it takes or ever.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

It may also be that the contrast/light output is set so high that it is causing eye fatigue.

Calibrate the set first with basic test patterns and then report back.

I always like to use a 100% white windowbox pattern ... if it hurts your eyes to look at it ... then turn down the contrast until it doesn't hurt anymore.

Regards

AxlRose

Auditioning
Real Name
Axl
Well the TV is gone. We took it back and exchanged it for a JVC 52" HDILA tv. Thank you for the help.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
that link in the first post sure doesnt go to a tv.
and it sure is too long causing the entire post to be about twice the length of the screen on my monitor

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I also suffer from the malady that some viewers experience when watching a DLP display. While the newer displays, with 6 and 7 segment color wheels running at double or higher speeds seems to cure some of the display problems, I still end up with a bad headache after only an hour or so of viewing.

I do not know ( but seriously doubt) if it does any lasting damage, but the eye strain and headache was enough to convince me not to buy a DLP.

For me, it is either direct view CRT or 3 panel LCD or LCoS front projection.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ive been looking at a new dlp mits for 2 days and i'm getting worried that
i wont be able to use this tv.
i see rainbows and mosquito like noise around objects, mostly the numbers on scorebaords during sports.

and the grass on the football game on espn looks splotchy.
doesnt look like grass just splotches of green sort looks patched together.

this could be a product of espn's broadcast qualty.

looking at a rocording of a nfl game from cbs i'm not seeing the same blotchiness.

looks much clearer

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
I guess the RP DLP sets suffer from rainbowing too (that is, some people notice it) - ? I watched a very high end DLP FP for a bit at an upscale home theater place and noticed the rainbows big-time. That would drive me crazy! DLP is definitely not for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks