Please help with BFD!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JerryIII, Feb 12, 2002.

1. JerryIII

JerryIII Stunt Coordinator

Ok guys, i am now desperate. I setup my BFD last night according to Sonnie Parker's excellent tutorial http://www.troycable.net/~snap/bfdinfo.htm . I followed every step to the letter and got my first two filters up and running with excellent results. However, those seem to be the only two filters that will work. Filters 3 and up do not have any effect on the sound st all no matter how much I cut. I am using program 4 and yes I am pressing the store button twice after setting up the filter. Can anyone out there offer any suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Take care,
    Jerry

2. Ken Woodrow

Ken Woodrow Stunt Coordinator

Jerry:

I ran into this exact problem last week when I was trying to set up my BFD. Rick Radford finally bailed me out. What I was doing wrong, and what you may be doing wrong, is accidentally setting up your second and third filters in the next preset, rather than within preset #4. The key that Rick pointed out is that:

"If the filter select key is unlit the number on the display

should be the preset number. If the filter select key is

lit, then the number on the display is the filter number of

whatever preset you chose. Hope that you're following me

here."

That's what I had been missing -- how to distinguish between presets and the filters within each preset.

Are you using ETF for your SPL measurements, or the Rat Shack manual method?

Hope this helps.

- Ken

3. JerryIII

Ken,

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, that does not appear to be my problem. I am sure that I am using the correct program (4). I can see the third filter light left of the readout come on when I set it (1 and 2 are already lit). I have gone over this thing at least 100 times and it is beginning to drive me crazy. Maybe I have a defective unit. I have also set filters 4 and 5 and they do not seem to have an effect either. I am also sure that the filter is set to PA. I am using the Rat Shak meter and the Stryke Test CD to take measurements.

Jerry

4. Ken Woodrow

I'm sure you've done this, but try using another preset, such as 1 or 2, and remember to set all of the other presets to "OF" (off).

Another possibility is that the filters are working, but don't appear to be b/c of the effects of the first filters. You may have to use multiple filters on a single peak before advancing to kill the next peak.

Another idea is to dry downloading ETF and using a computer and the RS meter to record the frequency response. The trial version of ETF will not let you save files, but you can take measurements and see results much more quickly than with the manual method. ETF has this neat sequential data analysis tool that repeats the test tone while you make changes, speeding up the process even more.

After ascending the steep learning curve of both ETF and the BFD, I've only had time to set up 3 filters and I am nowhere near close yet! I have a lot more experimentation to do to get it right.

I can already tell a difference in the sound, though, and that is keeping me going.

- Ken

5. JerryIII

Ken,

I have tried to use other programs, but could not get them to work the way I was able to work with program 4. I am beginning to think that there may be a problem with my unit.

6. Ken Woodrow

In theory, you should be able to use any of the 10 presets and set up to 12 filters in each. The preset has to be set to "PA" (parametric) and each of the filters must be set to "PA" as well. Any unused filters or presets should be set to "OF".

It's really easy to get the presets and filters within them mixed up -- the only way to tell them apart is the red light next to the number, and the fact that presets only cycle through 10 and the filters cycle through 12 when you're adjusting the jog dial.

Finally, make sure you're in the correct preset when you test playback. You may have accidentally cycled to the next preset. But, as you've said, you should know that you're in the correct preset when the filter lights are on, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Don't give up yet. It's just another example of the sheer cussedness of inanimate objects.

- Ken

7. JerryIII

Ken,

I really do appreciate all the help. Since I bought the BFD locally, I went on and exchanged it on my lunch hour. If I had bought it online, I would continue to bang away at the one I had. I will try again tonight. Hopefully it was just that I had a defective unit. I don't know what I will do if I have the same problem tonight. I will keep you posted. If anyone else has any idea what I may be doing wrong, please post or e-mail me. Thanks again Ken.

Jerry

BTW: Mars Music is selling the BFD for $129.99 locally.