What's new

Please help with a budged receiver decision... (1 Viewer)

Jared Boehm

Auditioning
Hey guys, I'm requesting a Digital receiver for christmas and don't want to end up with a crappy sounding piece of crap, but the folks aren't exactly the richest people on the face of the planet. I figure something under $300 can sound good and would be in their price range. Right now I'm torn between the following:

Kenwood VR-507 or VR-509 (Do these have discreet amplifiers?)

JVC RX-8010VBK (this thing has soooo many cool features but how does it sound?)

Yamaha HTR-5450

Onkyo TXDS494

Can someone help me with my delemma? I'm upgrading from a P.O.S. Sherwood Pro-Logic receiver and I realize that anything is going to be a HUGE improvement but I'd like to get the nicest thing possible to prevent any need for upgrade in the near future. Any suggestions/reccomendations/complaints/whatever would be most helpful as well as where to get these receivers for decent prices. Thanks in advance guys.

joe goswami

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Goswami
I own the Denon AVR-1802 and am not dissapointed at all. Stay away from the Sony's, JVC,s, & Technics of the home theater world. Yamaha, Onkyo, & Marantz are worth looking into. Marantz may be a bit out of your budget (it was in mine) but can be used as a good reference point when shopping.

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I would definitely say to go with the Denon! For the price, I don't think you could do better. Very high quality, and has the "full" and adjustable version of PLII, go with it, it's a good one. Although the Onkyo owuld be good too.

Jared Boehm

Auditioning
No comments on the Kenwood? I've been hearing in other threads that it's a real nice receiver for the price...

Also, still interested in where to buy this stuff... Circuit City and Good Guys seem WAY over the online prices of some of this stuff... any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
The Kenwood VR-507 is a fine receiver for the price. The best of the budget receivers IMHO. It has DD, DTS, DPL2(with adjustable music mode) and SRS Circle Surround. Go pick one up at CC and give it a test at home.

Tulli

Stunt Coordinator
If you're looking for good sound within your budget you should LISTEN to the Technics SA-DA20 (Yeah, I know what you're going to say about the brand). This is a HIGH-END receiver, the next iteration of the highly praised SA-DA10, which was released together with the really great and only Technics DVD player, the the A10.

Don't make the mistake of looking at the list of features (DPLII, for instance) and LISTEN, whatever the model. This amazing receiver is only $279 at Etronics.com. You can't beat it.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
The Kenwood is good but the Denon AVR-1602 is more what you would be looking at. However, if you can find the 1802 for around $350 or so, IMO, it is a no brainer. Of the ones listed:

1. Yamaha

2. Kenwood 509

3. Onkyo

4. Kenwood 507

5. JVC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks