Please help with 16 gauge speaker wire.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick_Da, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Nick_Da

Nick_Da Agent

Hey guys, I went out to Best Buy today and bought a 100 foot spool of 16 gauge speaker wire from Acoustics Research (mainly because there isn't really a Home Depot by me) and I'm a little confused as to how it works. I'm going to be hooking it up to my Kenwood HTB-504 HTIB system, and the speaker wire itself came molded together, with one side of the plastic covered in +'s, and the other not labeled at all. It came with 4 black clips, and four red clips. Anyways, how do I hook this up? Do I split the cables apart since they came molded together? Anyone with a Kenwood, should I use the red and black clips when plugging it into the system and the surround speakers? And will this speaker wire work on the other (central, left, right) speakers as well? Just a little curious here, any or all help would be truly appreciated.

Nick

2. Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck Stunt Coordinator

Nick, you would only need to split them enough to easily attach to your amp and speakers, 3-4 inches. One wire is marked with +'s to help make sure you keep all your speakers in phase (attach + wire to + terminal on receiver and + terminal on speaker). If you plan on connecting 5 speakers, you do not have enough clips. Not a big deal, just strip the ends about 3/4" and and tightly twist the wire. If you are handy and have a solder gun, you can tin them if you want (although some advise never to do this).

Hope this gets you started.

3. Nick_Da

Nick_Da Agent

Okay cool, thanks Dave, that helped a lot.

Nick