Please Help w/ 36" Sony OR Panasonic!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamG, Nov 6, 2001.

1. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Having an 8-yr.old 27" Sony Trinitron already, I thought I would like to move to a 36" Wega KV36FS13 (or -17). Until tonight. While at BB, my wife asked me to show her what I had in mind. Right beside the Sony was the Panasonic CT36SX31 (Tau) and the Toshiba 36AF561.
    She said that 'those lines' in the Sony bothered her and she liked the Panasonic better. I noticed that the Panny doesn't have the 16:9 Conversion; is that something that I'll really want? I'd like to hear from those of you that may have any of these sets. Pros? Cons?
    Decisions, decisions ..
    Thanks!

2. WilliamG

Anyone?? [​IMG]

3. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

William,
    You may want to try the TV/Projector area for better response value.
    If I remember correctly, the Sonys will not accept a Hi-Def signal, or 480p for that matter until you get into the XBR line-up....I may be wrong with their new batch.
    I'm pretty sure that the Panny WILL allow a 480P and 1080i signal....which would make the choice much easier, assuming you're interested in progressive scan and HiDef technology.
    Jeremy

4. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

It would help if you stated your budget...
    Anyway, you can get Sony TVs which will also accept Hi Definition signals without going to the XBR line. This is the HS series .
    The major difference between the XBR and HS series is that the XBR series has CineMotion, which is 3:2 pulldown built into the TV to get rid of the jaggies on film-based DVD movies. With the HS series, you need to get a progressive scan player to get rid of the jaggies. With either model, you won't have those scan lines that your wife was complaining about.
    I'd personally go with one of the Sonys because I know that you can turn off the SVM (Scanning Velocity Modulation), whereas on the Panasonics, you can't (unless you want to muck around in the service settings). SVM adds unnecessary artifical sharpening to the picture which can take away fine detail.
    Here's an article comparing some 32-inch Hi-Def TVs. The Sony comes out on top.
    I have the Sony 36" XBR450 , and am very pleased with it, so my opinion may be a bit biased. My DVD player is a Panasonic DVD-RV31 interlaced model, and the picture is amazing.

5. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Moved to Tv and Projector Area.....
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
    Send Email: darth23@optonline.net

6. Andy L

Andy L Stunt Coordinator

None of the models that you have listed will accept a 480p or 1080i signal, they are all analog sets.
    I would consider the 16:9 mode on the Sony to be a pretty important feature. The difference between a picture squeezed with the 16:9 mode and one that's been downconverted by the DVD player is pretty striking.
    I've got the Panasonic CT36HX41 which is similar to the model you are looking at but it accepts 480p and 1080i signals and includes a 16:9 mode. The picture on this set is very nice with the only drawback being some geometric distortion in the upper left hand corner of the picture. Geometry problems seem to plague all makes of flat screen sets that I've seen and read of.

7. WilliamG

Sorry to not have listed the obvious first- [​IMG]

8. WilliamG

Sorry to not have listed the obvious first- [​IMG]
    I can't afford HD right now, as I only am looking in the $1300.-1400. range.
    I may be confused, but the Panasonic menu did not list 16:9 as an option, however the remote control has a button labeled "ASPECT". That puzzled me ...
    Further help from anyone? .. And THANKS for the help so far!
    My in-laws have a 27" Wega that really looks good, and I'm thinking about taking my DVD player over to check out the image on that one. (Thinking that the 36" would be comparable in picture quality) ..

9. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

I also would like to avoid the scan lines...but, then again, when you're walking around in a store you end up only 2-3 feet from the screen. Would anyone see the scan lines 8-12 (or more) feet away?
    I'm also very close to getting the 36fs13 and have thought about the tau's, even the 32HX41 (32" 4:3 HDTV).

10. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

11. Kevin Fox

Kevin Fox Stunt Coordinator

William,
    I love the 16:9 squeeze on my KV36FV26. It was the second-most-important reason I bought the set (after, like you, the price). I've seen the XBR450 (like Allan's) for $1999 at Costco, so you should definitely be able to find good deals somewhere on the HS series that are close to your budget. The one thing my set is missing is HD-compatability, so I can't do progressive scan even with a DVD Player. That's also probably very important these days, and with HD prices dropping, you could probably wait just a little longer and a good Sony with HD and 16:9 squeeze will drop into your budget range.
    But, just to reiterate, the 16:9 squeeze on a 4:3 TV is pretty near indispensible, so if you can't wait, go with the Sony.
    ------------------
    "What is best in life?"
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women..."

[​IMG]
    Roykirk's DVD Collection

12. Rob Cunningham

Just wanted to let you know bestpriceaudiovideo.com has the CT36HX41 priced at $1549. If your ok with buying that big an item over the net. I can personally recommend them, plus there are plenty of other sites with reviews of their quality of service. Great vendor for a/v stuff.

Then again you could just save yourself the trouble by printing the price off of bestpriceaudiovideo and taking it over to Sears and have them pricematch it (gotta love that).