What's new

Please Help! Viewing Distance Info Needed!! (1 Viewer)

Larry Pinell

Auditioning
I AM PLANNING TO BUY ASAP A 27" SONY WEGA AND I WILL BE SITTING 8.5 FT FROM THE SCREEN. DO YOU THINK THIS IS A SUFFICIENT SCREEN SIZE?
IT WOULD BE TOUGH TO AFFORD A 32"
PLEASE RESPOND TO
[email protected]
THANK YOU!

jimmy~e

Agent
I agree with the video experts who say that distance to the screen is completely and totally a matter of personal taste. Just like in a movie theater, some people prefer to sit up close and some people like to be as far away as possible, in the last row. The 1.5 times screen diagonal "rule" is an average estimate for the average person, but each individual is comfortable at a different distance.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
At 8.5ft, I'd go w/ the larger size 32" TV even if you like to sit at the back of the theater. :D

_Man_

MikeM

Screenwriter
Get the bigger screen. 32" will be fine IMO.

At 8.5 feet away, I'd go up to about 36" or so.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Interesting...Why do you feel that way? I've had mixed opinions...
Before upgrading to a 53" RPTV a few months ago, we used a 32" at ~8.5ft away for a few years. That was good for regular TV viewing and fine for DVDs and LDs for a while. But soon enough, most movies in 2.35:1 ratio was definitely wanting for a bigger image, which was why we finally upgraded.

Anyway, trust me. You'll want at least a 32" for that distance, especially if you watch plenty of 2.35:1 ratio movies. Of course, you should really see for yourself to be sure.

_Man_

Trevor H

Second Unit
I have a 57" 16:9 set and I sit 9' away from it, for me that is the perfect size/distance ratio.

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Larry
It IS all personal taste

Jimm e wrote
Yes but some people sit in the back row for things other than watching the movie... I mean really I rember back around 18 years ago... we I mean they used to....LOL .

Seriosly Larry,
Have you ever heard anyone say "Damn I should have gotten a SMALLER tv.

Just my 2 cents
Signed
Ed O'Neill

John CW

Supporting Actor
Larry: Did you check out that link I provided? It lists all kinds of detailed information on the correct TV size for a certain distance, including the THX recommendations!

~ Johnny

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks