please help-upconvert DVD player newbie

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tim L, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

Hey everyone- I just recently took the plundge and picked up a new 50 inch panny plasma from costco-with dual HDMI. I also picked up a sony DVPNS71HP DVD player that upconverts via HDMI- the problem is I hooked up the HDMI to the panny but for audio I connected the Digital coax from the dvd player to my B&K ref 50 (like I did my previous player). But now the B&K doesn't reconize the digital signal (dolby or DTS). does this have to do with the HDMI cable? I'm confused-am I hooking thisup right. I went into the menu of the player and told it what connections I wasusing, any help appreciated
    Tim

2. Nick:G

Nick:G Stunt Coordinator

Most likely, HDMI settings on the Sony DVD player are incorrect. If I were to guess, its factory default setting is to pass multi-channel audio over HDMI, instead of through the digital audio output.

Go into the setup menu on the player (with the player stopped, of course) and go to the setup page that covers HDMI settings. You need to tell the player not to pass multi-channel audio over HDMI. Then, make sure the digital audio output is turned on and set to pass BITSREAM (not PCM). After that, you should be fine.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

See page 67 in your manual: "Digital Out" and "Setting the digital output signal". Essentially you have to turn DD and DTS on for the digital out to work.

4. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

okay the player was at fault- picked up anotehr one and it works fine- pretty happy with the picture so far- I do see an improvement form my previous player via component. I beleive this should hold me over until I pick up an HD player. thanks
    Tim