PLEASE!!! Help to help a friend before he buy BOSE!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edil Cajigas, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Edil Cajigas

Edil Cajigas Extra

Hi!

I was able to halt a friend that was close to get a bose system. I invited him to check my HT system and he was impress. But he complains that my speakers are too big (mostly the sub) and he only have $3,000 for a receiver a DVD player and a set 5 speakers plus sub.

I'm close to convince him on a Onkyo or Marantz receiver but he is firm in his possition of small speakers.

So with the following order of selection criteria:

#1 Small 5.1 set of speakers/sub

#2 Budget of $3,000 for speakers, receiver and DVD player

#3 quality and performance

It is possible to build a system that sound better than a $3,000 bose system. If yes (and I hope so), Wich equipment you recommend? (give me ideas also on the receiver).

I will appretiate your help.

Best regards

Edil

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    is an SVS too big for the sub? [​IMG]
    well maybe an Adire RAVA or something similar, but the sub will be kinda "large" almost always. make sure he doesnt get the Bose with that "hideaway bass module" that you "cant see" (or hear, for that matter! [​IMG]).
    are nOrh's too big for him? he might like their radical design. there are plenty of options for a package under $3000; are bookshelf speakers like the Paradigm Studio 20's too large? give us an approx size that he'd like and we can come up with something helpful.
    you might steer him in the direction of an Onkyo 898 or maybe the 797 if you want more $$ for the speakers. just remember that almost anything you get for him will destroy the Bose system in performance!
    [edit] forgot the DVD player! go with a Panasonic RP91 ($425 from www.jandr.com) or an RP56 ($225 from any local Best Buy; cheaper online) if he doesnt want DVD-A.

3. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

The B$W 303's w/LCR3 center and ASW500 sub were well received by S&V this month. Total-$1270.00

Denon 3802 shipped $850.00

Panasonic RTP91 $550.00

$2670.00 Total

For a smaller and probably better sub for the same price, consider the Hsu VFT-2 $450.00-$500.00 at AV123.com

This leaves a little for cables and interconnects and should leave the Bose system standing at the gate.

There are innumerable systems similar to this one that can be put together for this kind of money that will sound fantastic. Takes a little effort is all. Check out Energy, Axiom, or Ascend Acoustics for small systems. For a little more money Vienna Acoustics Haydn's retail $900.00 pair. 5 of them plus Hsu sub is around $2700.00.

Russ

4. Edil Cajigas

Edil Cajigas Extra

T H A N K S for all your promplty responces

Ok to give you a better idea of a size that is acceptable, I show him the Energy take five system and he said that those where acceptable, same thing with the PSB alpha series. So any recommendations with speakers of that size, with better performace will be good, more expensive too as long as the entire system doesn't exceed the $3,000 limit.

5. Edil Cajigas

Edil Cajigas Extra

Ah I forgot yes, he consider the SVS sub too big.

By the way my sub is a SVS.

6. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

The link below is a website bashing Bose which also has a table with Bose alternatives with prices. The prices may be a little outdated, but it should give you a place to start with competing sattelite speaker designs. He has speakers listed from Paradigm, Mirage, Klipsch, Polk, NHT, M&K, PSB, B&W, KEF, Monitor Audio, Pinnacle, Velodyne, Sound Dynamics, Tannoy, Infinity, Energy, Boston Acoustics, and Definitive Technology. There are plenty of competing systems out there that will blow Bose away $ for $.
    http://www.geocities.com/trustnoho/boseframes.html

7. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Tell him to look into Definitive Technology ProMonitors/ProSub 5.1 system, a Yamaha receiver, and a Toshiba/Pioneer/JVC etc. dvd player. I think he will be very very impressed! www.definitivetech.com

8. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

9. William_L

William_L Extra

I tried to convince my brother to stay away from Bose, but his wife and mother-in-law listened to that Lifestyle 27 crap, and said how great it sounded. I tried showing him reviews and others comments on Bose, but it was to late, they were sold on that junk. Not sure how much they shelled out, but I guess it's over $2,000

It doesn't even compare to my Onkyo 595 w/Klipsh speakers, which I think I may have paid a total of $1200

Oh well, I guess if people don't do research and compare, they deserve what they get

10. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    http://www.av123.com has a great deal on Diva speakers right now. $1190 for the Divas & $399 for the Hsu VTF-2 (see here). That will leave you with plenty of budget for a receiver and DVD player.