Please help the newbie with some tips on buying

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Markthemovieman, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Markthemovieman

Markthemovieman Auditioning

Ok everyone, im new and i wanted to say hi.
    Also, i have been doing tons of research on home theaters on different forums and websites. and still barely feel i know whats going on!

Ok so my budget is about 1000 dollars and i need to buy a tv (at least 30 inch or 32) a home theater and all the cables and such.

With that said, I will post what i have found, tell me if this is correct....

The tv seems to be my weak link.
    Im looking at a couple htib (most dont like them i see lol) and they have upscaling, progressive scan and hdmi connections, but in order to take atvantage of any of that i need a edtv or hdtv correct???

I was alotting around 450 for the htib, 300 for a 32" sdtv and the rest for cables and connection stuff and tax.

Well, for 300 i can get a 32 inch digital tv but it seems to have no ablity to play better then 480i, so therfor would not take advantage of hdmi, upscaling or progressive scan. right?

Now i was looking at some edtv and hdtv for 550 and up, but the insignia at best buy got horrible reviews, so im leary of that one.
    I seen a phillips 30 inch for like 640 but this alll puts me over my budget that id like to stay under.

These are the two htib im debating what do you guys think?

The jvc th-c60
    http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...thId=30&page=1

Panasonic sc-ht940
    http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...00000000005702

Both offer upscalling, progressive scan and hdmi.
    I kind of like the pannasonic deatures but like the four tall speakers on the jvc.
    I have read both benifit from bigger ga wire, so i would run 12ga to both is that a good idea???

Now as for tv's....I am looking at a rca and insigni at best buy and a ilo? from walmart all between 276-310.

Here is what im thinking....get all this and when funds allow upgrade my tv to like a 40inch lcd and then i can take advantage of the higer end features?

Unless someone knows a tv 500 or under at least 32 inches that can do 480p???

Any advice would be good, i want to buy this stuff friday.

thanks

2. Markthemovieman

Also i plan on running component video, would i be fine buying the cables from walmart for like 20-30 bucks rather then the 140 dollar monster cables? im going for the lesser priced, its not like i have a super hih end system right?

thanks

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Most cables that come with your equipment will be adequate. If you want to replace them later, then get some from Blue Jeans Cable, Monoprice or the Dayton line from Parts Express. I've compared a $50 digital coax cable from Monster to a $12 digital coax cable from PE. Same exact sound and the PE cable seemed to be better built (RCA connector, shielding, etc).

Can't help on the rest of the stuff as the smallest TV in my house is 55".

-Robert

4. Markthemovieman

Only one reply? [​IMG]

5. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Hello Mark,

Welcome to the forum. You may want to post your tv questions in the "Display Devices" forum for a better chance with replies. I wish I could help, but I haven't researched televisions sets in a while so I'm not familiar with what's good right now.

As for cables and such, I second Robert's statement on the cable that come with your equipment being adequate. If you feel you must buy cables, I suggest Monoprice, I've received some really good cables from them recently for a very low price. I really like my HDMI--->DVI cable. I needed a 35' cable and it only ran $54. Compare that to the cheapest cable at Best Buy, not to mention that their longest cable was something like 12 feet. I'm sure the other places Robert mentioned are good too, but I don't have experience with them. I've heard many good things about them though.

Good luck,
    George

6. Nick:G

Nick:G Stunt Coordinator

Well for a $500 budget on a 30-32" TV, your options will be very limited and everything in that price range will be limited to 480i. If you step up your budget by about $200, you can get a widescreen CRT-based TV from Toshiba or Samsung that will do 480p as well HDTV resolution.

If you have any future plans of upgrading your gear, HTiB systems cut a lot of corners. They'll have limited inputs/outputs and not-so-good speakers. You can probably take a listen to a few if stores like Best Buy or Circuit City have demo models and see if you like any of them. But I would say wait and save up to around $2,000 and you'll have a far better looking and sounding system with room to grow. I'm sure others would agree.

7. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    If I had a $1000 budget for a sound system and television I would get a spend $500-600 on a 32" television, $200 on a Dolby Digital receiver and $200-300 on a pair of speakers. That way you're starting off with a fully functional system with plenty of room to upgrade as you

1. find out what you like

and

2. save money

While it's possible to buy a home theater in a box system that comes with five speakers and a sub for about $500 I would advise against getting something like that. My first sound system was a home theater in a box. Six months after buying the HTIB I upgraded the left and right main speakers. Nine months later I upgraded the rear speakers, and twelve months later I got a new receiver and center channel speaker. Looking back on the experience I d have saved a significant chunk of cash by starting with a modest receiver and pair of speakers.

8. Phill O

Phill O Stunt Coordinator

Hi Mark, I would agree with the other guys. Either wait and save up somemore
    cash. Or buy a modest reciever with two speakers and start from there.

In time you can buy a much better sub then up grade as you go. This is the route that I took. And it took me over five years to get everything together. the last purchase I made was the HDTV.

I started with a modest reciever and bose am-7 speakers and upgraded from there to what I have now.

9. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    I'll take a different route. Spend more on the display and go totally cheap on the HTIB. Upgrade that to a receiver/speakers when budget allows.