Please help: Suggestion for small LCD Display

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Vince Maskeeper, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Ok, I have a rather specific need and wondered if anyone had a suggestion on a product which could solve my problem:

For my bedroom setup I would like to integrate 2 display devices into a single system. I have a 1024x768 DLP projector which will be mounted and fed video from a computer, HD sat box, and scaling DVD player. I would like to be able to "mirror" this display onto a small format LCD monitor mounted to the nightstand.

This configuration would allow me to choose to use the small monitor to check email and even watch TV when firing up the PJ is not as desirable.

However this configuration creates a couple of unique issues and mean I need a rather specific set of features in a monitor. My original ideal was a 4:3 17 inch model, but so far that isn't seeming too likely. So...

I need:

A small format LCD monitor (17 inch min prob 20 inch max).

Accepts both VGA and Component video input and can sync to HD resolutions 720p and 1080i correctly. I was originally planning to use a normal Dell Ultrasharp monitor, but they don't seem to take component and I'd rather not add a transcoder to this already congested wiring diagram. Besides which, I don't think they're designed to sync to weird resolutions like 720p!

I would love to find a 4:3 17 incher with a native res of 1024x768 so I can get clean text out of the computer on the PJ and LCD without setting up different display profiles. This is not an absolute (as I CAN setup display profiles), but I'd love it if I could find something!

I'd like to have integrated speakers, just so i could run an alarm clock off the PC without having to leave the receiver and speakers on 24/7.

A dvi input with HDCP would be nice for future use, but not at all required.

Is anyone aware of a 17 inch LCD monitor (or "lcd TV") with this lower resolution 1024x768 in a 4:3 config that can still accept vga, component and HD sync rates (and format them properly)?

If not, I might just break down and buy the Dell 19 inch widescreen unit...

Any thoughts?

2. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I just ordered the Sharp Aquos 20 inch which is HDTV ready with the resolution you describe. I ordered it from Costco online. Not sure it has everything you described as my needs are not that critical (I just need a decent LCD to hang on the wall in my workout room), but it's close at least.

Here's the link:

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Mod...8,1375,00.html

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Gary,

What did you pay? It seems the going prices is several hundred higher than the Dell widescreen (which seems odd).

When you get yours, could you let me know if the stand is detachable? You said you were going to hang it on the wall, I was hoping to put it on a VESA arm... so let me know if the stand comes off and how you mount it.

-V

-V

4. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    $919.30 with taxes and S&H. $849 without.

The stand is detachable and when detached, the TV weighs 16.1 lbs. I will hang it on the wall but I will have to see how to do it once I get it. I might need a mount, which is probably optional. I'll let you know.