Please help suggest headphones for Denon 3802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Abe Morgan, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Abe Morgan

Abe Morgan Auditioning

I have purchased my first component of a soon to be home theater system...Denon AVR-3802. I would like to purchase a pair of headphones that will best fit my needs. I have read through many posts here and the links I have seen posted as well and still have not come to a conclusion. I will be listening to movies mostly. I read alot of people mentioning that certain headphones need an amplifier. Does the AVR-3802 have a sufficiant amplifier to run the Sennheiser HD 580's? And I hardly see any reviews or post's reguarding the Denon AHD-950. I am not worried about if it is an open or closed ear, unless it makes a difference in how the movies sound. I will be in a quiet room. Any help would be appreciated.

2. mctague

mctague Stunt Coordinator

Grado is another good brand out there. I've only got their model 60s, and don't know what their 580-level model is.
    http://www.headphone.com is a pretty good place to check out headphones (though I've never done business with them). They've got Sennheiser, Grado, AKG, and lots of little and not so little can-amps.

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I have the Senn 580's and they do not need an external amp for them. I run them off my Yamaha RXV620 receiver with great sound and its plenty loud. They do sound better with a dedicated amp however, but for the extra cost, I don't need it. The 580's are a great deal too. I picked up mine for $150 new.

4. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

I'd recommend the Grado SR80s, you can pick them up for about $90 and they don't need an amp.

Sound great too!