Please Help recommend a TV for our new home theater(plasma/projector/lcd)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Krelkor, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Krelkor

Krelkor Auditioning

Hey guys
    ive been browsing the boards a little bit, first time poster, obviously. I hang around the car audio boards with the same name. Huge into car audio, so get technical on me [​IMG]

dad has given me a budget of around 10k, give or take a little bit to do a whole new home theater, starting from scratch

ok here are my thoughts
    it is a fairly small room, however the smallest screen size i would like to go with is going to be 48". nothing smaller.

This TV will be for DVD(movies, dvd concerts), football, and HDTV program. We have another 60" tv that we use for everyday television

originally we were looking at plasma, but that will eat up a huge chunk of my budget correct? audio is important to me... so lets try to keep the TV to around 4thousand tops. But i hear that plasmas have a burnin issue? and require service pretty often.
    so that drew me to overhead digitla projectors. Will these give me as clear a picture as Plasma? ive never seen a movie done on a projector, just presentations and such in class. Im worried about the picture appearing dull and lifeless.

So this thread is to decide on a TV for us, best bang for the buck possible, we have a decent budget... so if i can be persuaded to splurge i might.

I will create an audio thread in the reciever/seperates forum, if you dont mind please look at that one as well.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

IMO, with 10K, projection is the ONLY way to go. You can go CRT projection with an HTPC, or a digital projector, depending on your needs/preferences. I wouldn't waste time with plasma, you just can't get as large an image. Absolute best bang for the buck would be HTPC paired with a used CRT projector, but this is more towards the DIY type of project, which you may well be up to. The limitations of CRT still applies, and you REALY want total light control in a dedicated room. You can get by a little bit better with digital projectors which may be brighter, but you have to sacrifice significant PQ, or spend well above your budget for just the PJ to get close to what the CRT/HTPC combo will do, but you do get no burn-in, bright picture (can get by with a little bit of ambient light), and way easier to use. IMO, plasma is probably the worst bang for the buck, and arguably has inferior picture, except to LCD projectors, which is probably what you see in school, which are pretty crappy. speaking of which i gotta go run to catch the bus, hoope i covered most of the info in your question. IMO FP is the way to go, you can afford it, there is no reason not to.

3. Krelkor

Krelkor Auditioning

Ok
    need to slow down the the acronyms [​IMG]

HTPC...
    home theater personal computer?
    if thats the case..... i have one in my apartment right now.....but i dont see how that would help
    CRT projectors ive looked into, but are they not stupid expensive?
    10k is not for the tv alone.... its for everything
    i was thinkin 4k for the tv, tops

i appreciate your input, can someone elaborate on the main difference betweem CRT projection, and Digital projection like the X1 and such. Also, why do people want to use HTPC(if i thought right, a computer)

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Sorry bout the acronyms.

Anyway, the HTPC is used as a DIY video processor/scaler, because in reality DVD kinda sucks if you blow it up really big. IT also helps very much with CRT projectors, as you can hit the sweet spot of the resolving capabilities, and have total flexibility of resolution, so you don't have a poor picture because of too low a resolution and seeing scanlines, nor on the converse, you don't have a soft picture because of too high, and scanline overlap.

CRT projectors use three CRTs to produce the image, and must be focused and aimed individually, then converged onto the screen. Because of this, setup is a project, but it is pretty logical and straightforward, just takes a significant amount of time(plus you have to do it three times, for each gun). Digital projectors are MUCh easier to set up, are not the 150-200 pound behemoths that CRTs are, but it's not really a fair comparison of picture quality. Comparing a new digital for 3-4K is no match for a used CRT for 3-4K that originally cost 20-30K or more (and still cost this much new today). For instance, in my theater which is still in beginning stages, I wanted a big picture, and a good quality picture, which for just a couple grand, is hard to do. It was either a cheapie digital, that threw a bright big picture, or a small RPTV that threw a superior picture, but was much smaller. Then the CRT projector jumped out at me, and while I have to jump through hoops with building an HTPC, and mounting and setting up the projector, it gives me the big picture, AND the picture quality that I was looking for. BTW, I spent 2K for a Barco G808, and plan on spending probably another grand for the screen, pro cabling, and HTPC, perhaps a little more. A mint G808 or like an 8500 could cost you 3500+, and you'd still be well within the budget.

As for the differences between digitals and CRT, they just work to create the picture TOTALLY differently. The digitals, LCD, DLP, Lcos, sxrd, dila, etc are all different to differing degrees. They each have their strengths to each other, and I reluctantly clump them all together, but they *still* fail in one important respect, and that is screen door effect, and black levels, that just can't yet match CRTs. You can get close, but you're talking 15k+.

5. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

I wanna stick up for LCDs, since I own one...Screendoor is there, no denying it, but it is workable. Sit farther away from the screen (just a few feet can make a big difference) or move the screen itself...Then there is always defocus, which is a little controversial. I think just a touch of defocus can work but I don't like to soften the image too much. Also using a filter, particularly an FLD filter, really helps mask screendoor.
    Black levels are a little trickier but there are many out there who never tire of trying to come up with the perfect DIY gray screen to defeat the black level devil...so all is not lost in LCD land...

6. Krelkor

Krelkor Auditioning

OK
    thanks for the replies
    but im still a little stuck in my thinking

i think CRT is out, we're not that fancy, if we ever were, then i migh tlook into it, but this is our first go at this

So is there ANY way that a 2thousand digital projector can look as good as a 5000$ plasma or LCD?

7. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

"So is there ANY way that a 2thousand digital projector can look as good as a 5000$ plasma or LCD?"

I'm not sure. My guess would be probably not, but I could be wrong.
    There is another way of thinking about your question however.
    You could look at it like this: Is there any way a $5000 plasma or LCD can match the size and sheer impact of an eight-foot-wide image cast by a $2000 digital projector?
    In that instance my answer would be unambiguous: no.
    Until you see an image like that, in your own home, you can't really understand the impact it can have. I'm not talking about a fuzzy, washed-out image, I'm talking about a very good image which may not be identical to a $5000 LCD, but which will certainly best it in terms of overall impact...
    Before I went FP I always thought sheer image quality would always be the be-all and end-all. Not anymore.

8. BrianMagog

BrianMagog Stunt Coordinator

9. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

You say the room is "fairly small", what are the actual dimensions? You may wind up sitting to close to have a big FP screen size.